The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Racial prejudice ?

Racial prejudice ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
It was insensitive. Their intention wasn't bad, but the show should've known better. Painting your face black for the purpose of impersonating 'blacks' is seen world wide as racist at worst, or dodgy at best.

America is a hypocrite. Just because a fraction over half voted in a black president that doesn't make them the pinacle of all that's rightieous. But really, that's not the point. They should've been more sensitive to something that's OBVIOUSLY upsetting for a percentage of the population.
Posted by StG, Saturday, 10 October 2009 8:57:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think those that blame Connick really should reconsider as they are being unfair and a mite jingoistically defensive and lacking perspective.

He comes from the Sthn. US where such issues are ultra sensitive. He clearly didn't see it as a Jackson send up but but more as a derogatory and racially insensitive. Which satire tends to be.
Runner, the issue was the 'boot black faces' and the associated connotations to racist ridicule. He probably saw that if he didn't react he might be criticised back home. I certainly don't believe it was self seeking as such. It was insensitive over sight to put Connick in that position.( much like Newtons 'boy' comment to Ali.) both intended in different contexts to the US sensitivities.

IMO the skit was puerile and unfunny (tacky) but didn't warrant criticism beyond that.

I found the media response very telling.
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 10 October 2009 9:08:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree examinator. Harry Connick comes from a country steeped in racism and it will only be when skits like this are not seen as racist that Americans will have achieved true equality.

I am sure Harry's reaction was very genuine given the culture he comes from, however, it should be seen in an Australian cultural context.

The irony is the doctors who performed this skit come from a variety of multicultural backgrounds - Lebanese, Greek and Indian comes to mind from what I can remember. Some lee-way should be given to the intent.

The reaction overseas is largely overdone to sell newspapers particularly in Britain.

Anyone who understands the Australian sense of humour will understand that we send up everyone - the Irish, women, men, Americans, Brits, Lebanese (Fat pizza) all equally well including Aussie culture itself. Greek Australians sent themselves up for years with the Effy characters and the like.

Australian culture was sent up in The Castle and the Ted Bullpit with his oft used phrase "not the Kingswood".

The only thing I would say is that given the fervour of political correctness it was probably, to quote Humphrey Appleby, a courageous move.

ABC's Q&A handled this issue very well this week.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 10 October 2009 9:52:07 AM
Pelican

"Harry Connick comes from a country steeped in racism and it will only be when skits like this are not seen as racist that Americans will have achieved true equality."

Yes indeed!

Xammy, I think that Mr Connick should go bury his head!!
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 10 October 2009 10:36:31 AM
What amazes me is that it was apparently ok for an American actor called Robert Downey Junior to act as an African American in the movie "Tropic Thunder" last year.

He painted his face black and made fun of an obviously Southern African American accent for this movie, as well as trying to also say he was from Australia!

Where was the outcry here? Double standards if you ask me.
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 10 October 2009 1:23:53 PM
Q and A did handle this issue well.
To me, the entire episode is a storm in
a teacup. It was a skit that wasn't meant
to demean anyone. Admittedly it wasn't
particularly funny - and if Mr Connick Jr
wouldn't have protested - it wouldn't have
received even a by-line in the media.
Now it's gone global - with publicity for
Mr Connick Jr - that even money couldn't
have bought.

No one in the US objected to the film made
by the black comedians (brothers), sorry
I can't remember their names, - who dressed
up in full make-up - and impersonated
white females in an over-the top way.
That was supposed to be funny.
As someone said - double-standards exist
everywhere...
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 10 October 2009 3:49:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy