The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should the laws be de sexualised?

Should the laws be de sexualised?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Oh now I am really confused – plus I see I made an error in my last post and it should have read that I didn’t think a crime that involves sex should be de-sexualized.

JayB why would women want the sex bit ignored and for it to be only about power and control..?

Is it the intent or the result that matters? If you try to kill someone but fail you do not get done for murder but you do get in a lot of trouble for your efforts. Attmepted murder being a lesser charge?

Partimer, surely no one wants prisoners to be raped, that is not an official part of any punishment.

And yes women school teachers do get punished and do go to prison.

Is your complaint that female prisons are a nicer place to be?

I am wondering what the consequences are and how they differ for pedophiles and rapists.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Monday, 28 September 2009 4:07:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jayb,StG and all

If 'The victim feels powerless' then by definition the perpetrator is *abusing* their power. Merely exercising power over another isn't the problem the police do it daily without people developing issues as a consequences.

The Key is ABUSE of power.

In most of our criminal acts it is the ABUSE of power that defines the crime.
I'm advocate punish the abuse of power not sex per se.

BTW l your reasoning is gender biased. both you need consider.
1.The Mormon male who was packed raped by bikkie women ('to make a man of him').
2.Try telling female who was sodomised that she wasn't raped.
3.so is forced oral sex a form of rape.
4.not all M on M rape occurs in the absence of women(jail) Nor the perpetrators necessarily h/bisexual.
5.Rape can be more subtle than overt force.

When I said de-sexualised I three interpretations of that non word in mind.

1. De sensationalise it in law . Limit salacious or detailed reporting.

2.Reduce the impacts on victims in legal cases and religiously influenced cultural laws .
That induced stigmatising aftermath. Particularly in the mind of the victims.
A friend handled a series of calls where a girl had been (packed) raped. While walking home with her sister across a park at night.
One of youths is alleged to have encouraged her rape ' because ugly and would be grateful for the F* by good Aussie studs.
She froze, to them that meant she agreed to the sex. The sister was simply held out of sight of the assault.

They even used the sister's statement in court to confirm that there wasn't a 'no!'. They claimed that she was known to have had sex (incorrectly) with other youths.
Two got three year the other 2 years in juvenile detention.
She was rejected by her religious community because she had been raped and whispers about why her, not her prettier sister and why didn't she scream fight etc.
A month after the trial she suicided.

3. To de-gender the systemic legal bias.
Posted by examinator, Monday, 28 September 2009 4:26:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Partimeparent, I am not quite sure what you were getting at with the comment < "Men are massively over-punished. But a women (say a school teacher) who rapes a child (she is also a pedophime) is unlikely to serve jail time. Fair?"?

Are you comparing men raping adult women with paedophile women?
Sorry, I can't see the connection.

If rapists are raped by other men in jail, I believe that is another crime that should be dealt with by the prison authorities. I must admit I do not feel too sorry for these men though. Karma.

There have been some cases of women being jailed for having sex with children. It isn't as common as male paedophiles though, so that is why we don't hear about them often.

You may well have some sort of problems with women in general by the sounds of it partimeparent, but surely you don't believe that male rapists are punished too much?
Posted by suzeonline, Monday, 28 September 2009 4:28:01 PM
examinator: "The Key is ABUSE of power."

Key to what? Its not the key to understanding why men rape. I think Jayb spelt out in fairly simple and authoritative terms what the keys to that are.

The key to understand why rape is bad? Surely not. Quite apart from anything else, abuse and bad are almost synonymous, so it is a circular definition yielding no new insight.

If you want a reasonable definition look up Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_act Notice it doesn't contain the word "abuse".

Actually, defining a criminal act as a abuse as you did must be an abuse of the language, or at least logic. Does that make you a criminal?

partTimeParent: "But a women (say a school teacher) who rapes a child (she is also a pedophime) is unlikely to serve jail time."

Which is as it should be, assuming the opposite gender is raped. We usually equate the severity of the punishment with the harm caused. A reasonable person understands the harm caused by a male raping a female is very different to the reverse. I'd bet if a woman violently rapped a young girl the punishment would be similar to a man doing the same thing, assuming you could convince the court it actually happened.

examinator: "BTW l your reasoning is gender biased."

As it should be. The genders behave differently, and any reasoning must take that into account.

Jayb: "I know this will upset the feminists"

Everybody upsets the feminists - even the feminists upset the feminists. So what's the problem, surely you don't want to be treated specially?
Posted by rstuart, Monday, 28 September 2009 4:57:00 PM
Rstuart,
Trolling again I see.
Should be gender biased?

The male on male rape I was referring to was one where a youth who was dressed in the fashion of the day was pack raped by 3 drunk bikkie types as he tried to use a public phone box.
What is your reaction to his rape sodomised and other?

I'll bet that victim and the Mormon are glad you're neither a police officer nor a judge.
Posted by examinator, Monday, 28 September 2009 5:12:33 PM
Dear Piper,

My step father passed away on Sunday evening.
His funeral is on Friday morning.
There's so much to do before then, so I won't
be posting for a while.

Take care.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 28 September 2009 6:40:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy