The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should Jessica Watson go ahead?

Should Jessica Watson go ahead?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All
Forrest Gumpp: "It seems Jessica wasn't at fault! "

The fact that they saw each other doesn't mean Jessica doesn't share some of the blame. While there is (or at least was - it been decades since I sailed) a law of the sea that says motorised vessels must give way to sail, every sailor should know it is simply impossible for large ships to do that. The bottom line is taking a nap when a large ship is that close in a constrained channel wasn't the smartest thing for Jessica to do. If wind changes in Morten bay are typical of other places close to land, and her boat was self steering using the wind (very likely) her boat could have ended up anywhere. It was a mistake - just inexperience on her part, I guess. I imagine that mistake is what prompted that much hyped letter sent to her.

It was interesting to see the thing the media is focusing on - the transmitting device she was supposed to have on, was utterly irrelevant since both vessels had already seen each other. The media also rabbited on about her not using some device that warned her of a ship being in close proximity. When I read it I marvelled at the new fangled technology that come along since I sailed. But then all reporting of it vanished, so I presume it was the media getting it wrong yet again.
Posted by rstuart, Thursday, 1 October 2009 10:54:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy