The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Could Stern Hu be guilty

Could Stern Hu be guilty

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Guilty or not I don't know. What I do know is that he would be a lot more comfortable in the hotel type prison accommodation in Australia than the hell holes in China.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 16 July 2009 7:55:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Could Stern Hu be guilty? I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he is, but that's not really the major point here, is it?

This case goes to the heart of the biggest problem with a minor economic power like Australia's utter dependence on companies like Rio Tinto selling our raw materials to a mega-economy like China's, where - as others have pointed out - the totalitarian State is inseparable from Chinese corporations.

Not to mention the cultural vicissitudes of the trading relationship. I don't think anybody's mentioned it here, but I understand that Stern Hu has dual Chinese and Australian citizenship, and further that China doesn't recognise dual citizenship - which means that from the Chinese perspective the Australian government has no particular standing in advocating for Stern Hu.

The calls from Turnbull et al for Rudd to 'pick up the phone' are mere political grandstanding - as they well know. There would be absolutely nothing gained for Stern Hu nor Australia for Rudd to adopt the kind of strident position that Turnbull demands from the comfort of Opposition. Of course, Rudd's 'special understanding' of the Chinese was much lauded in the early days of his tenure as PM, so it's not entirely unreasonable to expect that he would be personally involved in trying to negotiate a satisfactory resolution to the situation.

Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what's going on right now, earnestly and above all away from the glare of sensationalist media scrutiny.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 16 July 2009 8:27:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes he could be guilty, of acting as modern western business men always do.
Compiling a background on his customers needs and wants and likely bargain thoughts.
Of any crime?
No none at all.
Kevin Rudd however has been.
Yep it is me, no one has captured my key board no gun in my back.
Kev, Bloke that ego, its done you no favors.
Settle down, think about it, me old China plate.
You fell for Turnbulls taunts, you heard the beast Bronwin big breasts laughable , idiotic statements, you mucked in too hard too early.
You and lets face it the world, knew China is not quite civilized in modern business practice.
We both knew you fella and me, it was unwise to get tough in public, that to do so would make it far worse.
You I and Turnbull know it has now done that got worse, we all knew it would.
Bloke can I say this, Turnbull is no better a leader than our mob in NSW, yep that bad.
His mob is as lost as Barry O,Farrel, gee even as far in it as whats his name the rubbish tin bloke?
We however have no need to fall for Turnbulls tripe, to get our poor Innocent bloke in even more trouble because you did just what Turnbull hoped let your boots rule your brain is an own goal.
CHINA? not yet to be trusted in international trade, lets not give our selves to them,
it may not help us to get out of debt but they are acting just as America and someones mother England always have, in their own self interests, this reminds me of England importing drugs to them, just as illegal and wrong .
Let the poor bugger go he has done no wrong, you and Turnbull have however Kev, stick to your guns next time ok?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 July 2009 5:52:38 AM
CJ

Excellent summary of the situation.

Saved me from having to make the exact same post, in all modesty of course.

;-)
Posted by Fractelle, Friday, 17 July 2009 9:56:23 AM
The real scenario is probably that Hu was fending off bribery offers during the Chinalco bids for Rio Tinto. The detention of Mr Hu is merely sour grapes for not getting their pound of flesh in Rio Tinto and quibbles about iron ore prices.

It would not be left field to suggest that bribery is probably a common and accepted way of doing business with China and now they have lost face.

In seeking the truth about whether Mr Hu is guilty of taking bribes we should also ask who was offering them.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 17 July 2009 5:44:06 PM
The Chinese play the game according to their
own rules. They don't like losing face.
They lost face when Rio Tinto pulled out of
the deal (selling their company mine to the
Chinese).

Could Stern Hu be guilty? We'll never know.
But only a fool would risk doing what he's
accused of having done - in a communist country,
particularly of 'eastern mentality.'

It is hardly believable that a 'Western,' businessman
could bribe or be in cahoots with twelve (or sixteen -
I can't remember the exact numbers) Chinese Steel
Company Directors. Such an event if it would occur -
would take years to eventuate and not the short period
of time that these Chinese accusations refer to.

It would appear that China will take its time to exact
its 'face saving,' and release the Rio Tinto executives,
but Chinese Steel Mill Executives will have to pay the
price of China's loss.

I feel that the PM who has worked in China for ten years
in the Diplomatic Service - has an understanding of the
Chinese psyche - and is letting time take its course -
to China's 'face-saving,' satisfaction. Afterall China
does need Australian iron-ore and world trade.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 17 July 2009 8:06:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy