The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Kangaroo exports - blessing or curse for the Australian environment.

Kangaroo exports - blessing or curse for the Australian environment.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Kangaroos, like any other animals, including humans, are fine until there are too many of them.

Culling is fine but, I hope we do not see the culling matching some exporters needs for meat. Culling should be for the good of the animal, not someone's industry.

Farming of kangaroos is totally impractical, and many people will not eat kangaroo meat for 'cuddly jooey' reasons or, like me, they remember the smell of it before it is cooked.
Posted by Leigh, Monday, 18 May 2009 11:29:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Farming of kangaroos is totally impractical, and many people will not eat kangaroo meat for 'cuddly jooey' reasons or, like me, they remember the smell of it before it is cooked.

Totally aggree with above, first up kangaroos don't breed the same as domesticated livestock, it all depends on the season and the amount of feed available! As a roo shooter many years ago... I will not eat roo meat. When sheep & cattle are slaughtered they are "bled" instantly, not so with kangaroo's... they are shot and carried until you have enough to "butt" or skin! hence all that congealed bloody meat in the butcher shop.
Posted by Starship, Monday, 18 May 2009 3:10:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Starship, I don’t find the smell of raw roo meat at all off-putting. Lots of people must feel the same. It must be selling well in the supermarkets, otherwise it wouldn’t have stayed on sale for long.

We all have our preferences and obviously roo meat won’t appeal to everyone. But it clearly does appeal to a significant fraction of the populace.

The smell, the ‘cuddly joey’ factor, the congealed blood factor (or furphy) and whatever else, are minor negatives.

I think that there is plenty of scope for a considerably larger roo meat industry. But not too big.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 18 May 2009 8:09:59 PM
What Ludwig said.

Lots of people find the smell of raw lamb unpleasant too - not to mention fish! However, lots of people like to eat them both when they're cooked.

Yes, there are husbandry and technical problems, but I still don't see that they're insuperable. After all, roo meat is already widely available in Australian supermarkets.

Having said that, I take Ludwig's point about overexploitation.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 18 May 2009 9:04:00 PM
I tend to agree. There are real problems when we start dictating which animals have more rights than others based purely on the cuteness factor. If we eat cows, fish and chicken why not kangaroo?

Culturally I can understand the reluctance for some to eat kangaroo and I would probably choose not to eat it. I have tried it once and maybe it wasn't cooked in the right way (I believe it is easy to overcook)but I didn't like it.

I take Leigh's point about the practicality of farming kangaroo and how this could be done ethically. I wouldn't imagine kangaroos could be herded into small overpopulated enclosures without impacting on the idea of ethical farming.

The other factor is the risk of species extinction but I don't see that as a problem for kangaroos if there is some regulation on culling numbers.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 19 May 2009 7:00:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy