The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > stimulus v's cuts

stimulus v's cuts

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Yabby, it's a bit off track but it's a bit of a case of 'here we go again'.

First we had UFD introduced back in the early 90's and it simply stopped small business expantion in its tracks. Irronicly, it was a labor government heading into a reccesion.

There were cases of employers being sued for UFD after sacking staff for stealing.

Given the ground made with the level of small business expansion in the past decade, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to put hurdels in our way now.

I think in all reality there are many labor voters hanging thier heads in shame at the moment but it wan't sink in for some until they loose theri job, car, house, partner and families. This will all happen as financial strain is a real family killer.

I say reward small business for employing by giving tax cuts to them ONLY if they increase their staff numbers. More jobs means expansion which then drives demand. We have seen it in the past decade.

We are the only chance of pulling this nation back on track and they are putting up barriers for us.

Much of the public works that creates jobs does not create revenue, so once these projects are finnished and with little revenue comming in THEN WHAT!

These people have no idear what so ever and we will all pay the price.

There is a great saying 'if it aint brocken then don't fix it'. There is no need to change UFD or increase unionisum in the workplace.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 25 April 2009 8:52:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby;off the point but raises an important flaw in our economy.We have too much Govt interference and regulation for Aust to be competitive.We need an overhaul of the legal system ,OH&S and the bureaucracy.The party of incompetence and nepotism is over!

Govt must cut it's spending in all non-productive areas.The NSW Govt had the choice years ago and now are looking at oblivion.

The debt addiction like dug addiction cannot be cured by more of the same.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 26 April 2009 7:55:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You talk about government spending.

Did anyone know we are spending $42,000 each and every day to house illigal asylum seekers. Meanwhile we look like doing a back flip on our pensioners and not giving them the full increase as suggested. Of cause it's going somewhere else but I would prefer not to go there as I will be branded as a .... basher again.

Now how do you think we would be treated if we landed ILLEGALLY on their shores. It's just another example of our toothless tiger approach.

At some point we simply have to stop wasting money and free hand-outs is the best place to start.

Although I disagree with the latest stimulis, at least it is rewarding those who have earned money, not those who didn't.

I also say stop giving money to anyone outside of our country. Give them surplus goods instead.

Stop live export and value add instead to create jobs HERE not overseas.

If we don't take action right now and stop wasting money and oppotunities to make money there will simply be nothing left for future generations. After all, we are almost at the point where we have nothing left to sell other than RAW MATERIALS! And that's a joke!

Remember, we are a mere 200 odd years old and have just come through the most proporus decade in our times yet we are broke!

Where did the 'lucky country' go?

If you want to cut anything, cut the 'red tape' involved in employing people. That's a joke in its self!

I will start a new thread and call it 'The cost of employing'. Please join in.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 27 April 2009 6:48:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not a fan of the government's individual stimulus handouts and think the $900 would have been better pooled for infrastructure than for what will be a small blip on the spending barometer. Or used to fund the overdue pensioner payrise.

Funding of infrastructure is a good thing because it will create and keep jobs. Perhaps the 457 Visas need a rethink too given the propensity for some business to use them to import cheaper staff when there is no difficulty employing local labour. (There was an ACA report on a resort in the Blue Mountains doing just that).

Many people will not spend their $900 but will use it to pay bills or to save, pending more difficult times ahead.

Payroll tax is important given that many of our foreign owned companies do not reinvest necessarily in Australia and profits go overseas. At least payroll tax ensures some of the profits stay here to fund infrastructure. Perhaps the threshold for payroll tax could be increased to make it easer for small-medium business enterprises; I agree with Maximillion that any savings for the big corporates would not mean increases in jobs.

The only way we are going to get through the impending recession is if we pull together and reduce personal greed. Tax cuts to top income earners is not necessary, that will help keep the deficit down and won't affect their spending habits. With interest rates down, is it necessary to give far reaching tax cuts, perhaps only to those at the lower/medium end of income earners.

You can't ask more from governments in terms of better infrastructure without paying for it somewhere along the way.

Cuts to government spending should be well targetted - and not to those government services that will need to gear up to cope with rises in unemployment and access to social services.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 27 April 2009 9:34:03 AM
Payroll tax is important given that many of our foreign owned companies do not reinvest necessarily in Australia and profits go overseas

Point taken pelican, but surely if a company is Australian owned with local directors there can be an exemption.

Pay roll tax is without doubt the most insane tax ever. Forget the public listed companies, I am talking about small businesses that employ just 20 or so employees. If they go over $1millon in wages, bonuses, leave loading etc they get hit with PRT.

It is dead set a penalty for creating jobs and that, essecialy in these times, is a joke.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 27 April 2009 4:45:23 PM
It appears that facts stop many posters in their tracks for some reason.

So let's look closer at this insane tax called pay roll tax.

Take your average news agent. Often family owned and more often than not they own several agencies, some of which are sub-agents.

They often pay PRT.

Cafes like the coffe club, they pay PRT.

Mcdonald, one of the highest employers of our youth. Helping us to keep our kids off the streets. These are independantly owned businesses yet they have to pay PRT.

Morgans, a famous sea food outlet. Creates huge job numbers for the area yet they are punnished by PRT.

Why do you think so many construction workers are now contractors?

Now as a worker you would expect that the harder you work the better the reward, and why not, you've earned it.

Well guess what, as an employer, the more succesfull you are and the more staff you employ YOU GET SCREWED!

WHY?
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 30 April 2009 7:01:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy