The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Polygamy

Polygamy

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Steven,
I came across this today and thought it may interest you. It is not mine,I have copied and pasted.

Benefits of polygamy
Philip Kilbride, an American anthropologist, in his book, Plural Marriage for our Time, proposes polygamy as a solution to some of the ills of the American society at large. He argues that plural marriage may serve as a potential alternative for divorce in many cases in order to obviate the damaging impact of divorce on many children. He maintains that many divorces are caused by the rampant extramarital affairs in the American society. According to Kilbride, ending an extramarital affair in a polygamous marriage, rather than in a divorce, is better for the children, "Children would be better served if family augmentation rather than only separation and dissolution were seen as options." Moreover, he suggests that other groups will also benefit from plural marriage such as: elderly women who face a chronic shortage of men.[4]
[edit] Disadvantages of Polygamy
Anyone who has ever read the life of the patriarch Abraham knows the disadvantages of having more than one woman at a time in your life. This ancient family conflict still continues today between the Arabs and the Jews. Interviews with other polygamous families in modern times, show that family conflict is exacerbated in several areas. Older wives are often jealous of younger ones. Younger wives often feel oppressed by older ones. Constant movement between bedrooms causes tension. There is inevitable conflict between children of the perceived favored wife/wives and the perceived not so favored wife/wives.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 8:08:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, I'm all too frequently told that I resemble Billy Connolly ;)

Also, I have long appreciated the charms of both Pamela Stephenson and Pamela Anderson - but I don't think I'd like to be married to either of them.

Nor, sweet heaven forfend, both of them!

Thanks Horus - the 'Psychology Today' extract was shite, but you gave us a chuckle anyway.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 10:19:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cuphandle,
Full marks - too many people, so no more than 2 children per woman .

However if our males follow the Internet they won't be so stupid as to go to War.

I can only hope that Aus women discontinue their preference on the womanised man - this is so they can continue to leave their kids with the day care, as they work hard to buy stuff of doubtfull value.

I prefer the Australian Aboriginal perspective on "marriage" where your Blood brother was responsible for your wife if you died and if you had no blood brothers your tribal "brothers"or brother became responsible for your widowed and possibly pregnant wife .

This responsibility was generally accepted, with often a mix of wives of various ages .
Posted by kartiya jim, Monday, 6 April 2009 8:39:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy