The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Tale of a Tale

The Tale of a Tale

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Dear Steven,

I totally agree with Max on this one.

He's summed up the situation very well.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 29 March 2009 3:49:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LOL Max, Foxy,

Be careful. You're laying yourself open to charges of "Mozzie whacking" and "Islamophobia." Soon examinator will accuse you of propagating "indirect uber pro israeli bumf."

OK, let's get real. The evidence indicates that in 2009 Muslims are more vulnerable than Christians to being seduced by networks intent on causing violence and mayhem. It was not that way in the past. It may not be that way in future. But today, in 2009, that's the way the evidence points. To pretend otherwise is to be wilfully blind.

But where does that get us? The fact is that Jalal Ahmed participated in a legal non-violent demonstration. Yes the language the demonstrators used was confrontational and I would surmise they were hoping to provoke a violent response. More fool the onlookers who took the bait. But Ahmed and his fellow demonstrators did nothing violent or illegal.

If participating in legal, non-violent political activity in your own time is likely to get you fired then free speech is dead. Few of us can afford to lose our jobs.

You may respond that in this particular case the risk of keeping Mr. Ahmed on as a baggage handler outweighs the need to preserve free speech.

But does it?

If I were running a Jihadi network Ahmed is the last person I would approach. He has blown his cover. I would have to assume that at the very least he was under intermittent surveillance and that his phone calls and emails were being monitored. Were I to approach Ahmed there is a good chance I would bring myself to the attention of the security services.

The person I would target for recruitment is someone who appeared to be apolitical. Best would be a convert to Islam who could be persuaded to keep his conversion secret.

I question whether sacking Ahmed will make Luton Airport any safer.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 30 March 2009 12:15:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Steven,

His sacking may not make the airport any safer.

But, the airport execs made the decision
as they saw fit. End of story.

They saw him as a risk - one they weren't prepared
to tolerate. As Max pointed out - he chose his
religion over his job - and paid the price for it.

Such is life.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 30 March 2009 6:11:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy