The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Let's do a Deal?

Let's do a Deal?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Belly, it's not about Little Kevins right to talk to the Chinese but about the secretiveness of the meeting. Our press were kept in the dark and were scooped by the 'free' press from China.

And I seem to remember that Nixon beat Whitlam as PM to China by a mile. Gough might have gone earlier but not as PM. I could be wrong on this.
Posted by palimpsest, Friday, 27 March 2009 8:11:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gough visited China in 1971 as opposition leader, Nixon visited China in 1972 as President
Posted by foxydude, Friday, 27 March 2009 8:26:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is the foreign ownership record
in Australia?

How many foreign companies and governments
generate money out of Australia every year?

How many Australian companies generate money
offshore - either by exports or foreign-owned
operations?

It would be interesting to compare the numbers.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 27 March 2009 8:56:06 PM
>>Should Australia allow foreign governments, particularly undemocratic governments to own or control Australian assets?<<

If we were to forbid such investments, we should be prepared at the same time to instruct our own companies to refrain from investment in overseas businesses.

Just a couple of points:
The point is that it's a government controlled company, and comparing it to our private companies is apples and oranges.
Plus being a large customer and a major shareholder allows for transfer pricing, to our detriment, with lots of zeros.
Posted by Maximillion, Friday, 27 March 2009 10:30:34 PM
I remain amused by the whole thing, and by the idea we did not open the door to China for Nixon.
How many private meetings has American leader had, or English?
Did we know of every meeting John Howard had? should we?
No not in my view.
China then who do we not trade and talk to?
Once maybe now, Indonesia,so very many country's could be on that list.
We trade more each day with China, we prosper in doing so, I see the same diplomacy here that every country use,s in its own interests.
The growing fighting shadows, inferring we should fear China and our connections ignores history, trade is a help in opening such country's up.
Contact is too.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 28 March 2009 5:09:43 AM
"Should Australia allow foreign governments, particularly undemocratic governments to own or control Australian assets?"

Why not we let undemocratic corporations own them?
Posted by mikk, Saturday, 28 March 2009 1:18:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy