The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > is this a good idea or grab for cash?

is this a good idea or grab for cash?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Thank you for your comments.
It is clearly a grab for cash as it has more holes than street persons under wear.
The interesting part of the idea was tangible encouragement for obsolete technology. I wonder if the government should draw a line under levels of technology in a staged time frame i.e.
• To eliminate normal registration on with certain below minimum old levels of technology brakes, crash crumple zones, pollution levels etc.
• All those with special purpose need enhanced safety cert. before each reg.
• Classic/ vintage cars have limited driving reg plates as now.
• Registered Cars assessed as being beneath the combined level can go to a used car/new car dealer lot of choice (reg dealers) and either exchange or get a voucher for a car that meets the technology up to a value of $3-4 this could be on top of any dealer discounts etc. The dealer must apply for the rebate.
• Private sales and commercial of below these technological levels are banned. No sales of unregistered or “as is vehicles”.

The target market here is the mobile polluting death traps. It needs work how about some blue sky lateral thinking. What do YOU think?
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 9:35:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What rubbish. Has any one heard of Mitsubishi? How much tax payer money went on trying to save those jobs. Get used to it, we will not have a motor industry in 10 years, & quite possibly 5 years. Of course, with these idiots in Canberra, we will not have any industry by then any way.

Then we have the bull dust about modern "efficient" cars.

I could drive a 70s Holden, or Falcon, in good tune, for 10 years & produce less polution than is produced manufacturing one "modern" buss box, & I could drive it for 14 years, producing less than those stupid hybrid things. These so called clean cars, with all their high tech gear, & excessive weight, have produced more pollution, before thay turn a wheel, than my 1980 car has to date, including manufacturing, & 100000 Km of use.

Our neighbour is most upset with his hybrid. It uses more fuel to get to town, & back, [65Km], than my wife's new buss box, or my 1980 sports car. It's all a con. They built the things to comply with a laws that California was going to introduce, then conned the simple into buying them, world wide.

That 29 years old sports car of mine uses less than a litre per hundred Km more than my wife's new small modern, & produces only 3% more emitions. It actually uses over a litre less than the hybrid, for similar usage.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 1:35:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"...but, $3,000 won't buy us another car..."

and

"It needs work how about some blue sky lateral thinking. What do YOU think?"

-- -- --

The simple answer to these questions might have been on the news the other night. The Indians have just created a small car called the Tata Nano that sells for, you guessed it, $3000.

Maybe similar types of low-cost and presumably low-emission vehicles could be mass produced here one day. Or is that just a pipe-dream?
Posted by RobP, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 1:49:11 PM
Hasbeen, feel better now.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good bash the government rave.
Your buzz box is probably less safe technologically and emissions are higher than the neighbour’s hybrid.
Besides which the care doesn’t need to be a hybrid .
You are correct that the idea as put up by the industry is BS IMO anyway.

RobP,
You’re right about a new car hence I suggested the swap or upgrade option.
The death traps are often those care beyond 20 YO bangers that are worth less than $3-4 k. They are often clapped out death traps. The worry is that these ilks of cars are uninsured and are used to ferry the children in. According to the RAC they often have retreads etc to save money and dad drives the updated vehicle.
My idea is to gradually upgrade our fleet . Also some youngsters have cars hotted up beyond their intended safety levels eg an EH has discs lousy suspension, no anti-roll bars, no crumple zones etc. They sell around the traps for $1500 if it looks clean. This car is well beyond its safety emission use by date.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 2:39:01 PM
I don't know. I really think it's pretty hard to generalise on underwear. Some of mine are pretty holey, and I don't live on the street. I just bet a lot of street people have decent underwear too.

I heard Hybrid cars are less environmentally friendly when you take into account the full lifecycle of the car including the battery disposal, manufacturing methods etc...
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 2:58:47 PM
Examinator, our buss box is one of the latest, high efficeincy, variable valve timing, low emission, buss boxes on the market. It has all the BS that seems to be required in the white goods, that pass for cars today.

It has the acres of plastic required in "modern" cars, & has electric motors all over the place, to do the things I manage to do for my self, in my old car, even if I am a crotchety old sod.

I don't know of course, of your special qualifications that make you believe you know more about mechanical contrivances than I or some others here, perhaps you will enlighten us some time. However I can assure you my pollution figures for cars, & their manufacture have been produced by a number of bodies.

As for my qualifications in this area, I am an engineer, with a special interest in the internal combustion engine, & the motor car. An engine I built in 1967 set a Bathurst lap record, which was never beaten. The fact they have since changed the circuit means it can now never be beaten.

The car that engine was in, which I maintained, was voted the most reliable racing car in Oz, by the professional racing mechanics club. This must have been somewhat galling to them, as I was an amateur, doing it as a hobby.

None of this means I have any special insight, but my knowledge comes from a deep interest in the subject, more than a little studdy, & the ability to be able add up some of the figures involved in these things.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 4:11:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy