The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > If Peter Costello was the Liberal Party Leader - how would things change?

If Peter Costello was the Liberal Party Leader - how would things change?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Have I stumbled into Greeen Left Weekly? We really are in need of Col to balance you lot out.

If Costello leads the party, they will lose me. I've never voted Liberal, but I cant stand Rudd, and I think Turbull is a pretty impressive man alround. Costello, on the other hand, I can only hold contempt for. Where Turnbull plainly has balls, Costello is the most spineless of characters you could ever hope to find.

I remember I liked Keating because for all his faults he was a strong man with a presence and a leader with character, had some worldliness about him, and I liked having him represent Australia. Then when Howard won, it was like the country was handed over to a meek little man who you'd more likely see in tracksuit pants at the RSL drinking a Tooheys Old. I cant explain it, but I was embarrassed for Australia.

Now we have Rudd, who to me seems like he isn't really human, leads by committee, and murders the english language at every speach he makes. I've recently been reading Death Sentences, and all the examples in that book remind me of Rudd. I think he is Totally without substance. The most wishy washy, stunted little nerd who is also an embarassment. Turnbull would be a step back in the Keating direction. A Leader with style and chutzpah.

So, now that you all know my opinions on leaders is based on my perception of their personality and style, you can all go off and fear for the future of the country, as I know I'm not alone. It does count though. It matters for the country. Who would ever want the chance to be represented by a slimy little shite like Cossie?

My lasting image of him is a picture I saw with him smirking at the opposition from behind Little Johnny, and Him, 'people skills' and Downer pulling faces at Rudd during a debate with Johnny like naughty little private school boys.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 9 March 2009 10:16:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"My lasting image of him is a picture I saw with him smirking at the opposition from behind Little Johnny, and Him, 'people skills' and Downer pulling faces at Rudd during a debate with Johnny like naughty little private school boys."

Houellebecq

You have summed up to perfection the Liberal 'that-was'.

For a revitalised Liberal Party 'to-be', we don't need any of the above and except for Petey the old guard has changed. But into what exactly I am unsure, but a step forward would be for Costello to leave. Now. With what little grace he has.
Posted by Fractelle, Monday, 9 March 2009 10:25:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, for one thing he would prove the truth of the reply attributed to Winston Churchill, when a new M.P. referred to the opposition party as "the enemy"
"MY BOY," said Winston," the opposition in a Democracy is just that-"the opposition" but in politics "the enemy" is sitting right behind you!
Posted by DIPLOMAN, Monday, 9 March 2009 2:46:11 PM
Dear Houellebecq,

So you want a Leader with style and chutzpah?

You mean like Barack Obama?

You may have a long time to wait.

Have you heard this definition of chutzpah?

It's when someone murders their parents, then
throws themselves on the court's mercy because
they're an orphan.

Come to think of it - perhaps Turnbull does fit
the bill...
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 9 March 2009 7:42:34 PM
Costello will never be leader he never had the balls to challenge Howard and is a de-stabling influence on the party. The party is in a mess and cannot get behind 2 leaders so why should they get behind Costello?
They rejected him and never gave him the numbers to challenged Howard. Why? Because they did not think he had what it takes so why should anyone think he has it now?

The Liberal party all need a reality check. Maybe they should all go into counselling. They need something instead of continuing to feed the press with a lot of rubbish. Is it just to take out minds off the state of the nation because they too have no solutions and will not admit that they helped to get us into this mess under Howard.
Posted by Sybil, Tuesday, 10 March 2009 5:19:56 PM
Costello will never be leader he never had the balls to challenge Howard and is a de-stabling influence on the party. The party is in a mess and cannot get behind 2 leaders so why should they get behind Costello?
They rejected him and never gave him the numbers to challenged Howard. Why? Because they did not think he had what it takes so why should anyone think he has it now?

The party needs a reality check. Maybe they should all get some counselling
Posted by Sybil, Tuesday, 10 March 2009 5:23:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy