The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Guantanamo Bay prisioners

Guantanamo Bay prisioners

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Australia has already said no just a few shorts weeks ago to Bush.

Isnt this a little insensitive not to have taken our feelings on board?

Does anybody know how many we have been requested to take?

Many of these people do not wish to return for sercuity reasons.

That could mean anything. In some cases it could be that they have spilled some beans and know what might await them.

So wouldnt that place a risk of unwanted vistors to track them down and enquire

Who will pay the Drs and phyco bills USA? not to mention the legal costs.

Will they then be free to bring in other family?

Had we not already said no to Bush maybe it could have been put to the Aussie public via a vote.

If we take them now it would be seen as a insult to Bush of the highest order.
I think the Government will offer to do something. Such as offer to pay for them to live elsewhere in good faith to the new presiden
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Thursday, 22 January 2009 12:16:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No, PALEIF, I really can't see that happening. There's no logical reason for Australia to offer to 'pay' to resettle them elsewhere.

It would be seen as a very clumsy attempt to curry favor. There are far more subtle ways to forge a positive relationship.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 22 January 2009 1:57:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In some cases the country of origin is not known as authorities have failed to verify the identity of some of those remaining.

News reports suggest Australia has already said no - "Australia's acting Prime Minister Julia Gillard said each detainee was considered on a "case-by-case basis" and decided that none met her country's "stringent national security and immigration criteria," AAP reported.

But then you read this:

http://article.wn.com/view/2009/01/01/Kevin_Rudd_ready_for_Guantanamo_Bay_inmates/

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/295301.asp

So I am not sure what the government's stance is on this. It is unlikely that the detainees would meet Australia's immigration criteria as stated earlier so why it would be considered at all makes me think that it is just diplomatic rhetoric.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 22 January 2009 2:52:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy