The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > New Years' Resolutions: Informal poll

New Years' Resolutions: Informal poll

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It is the time of year when people make new years' resolutions. Many people will resolve to exercise more. Some will resolve to attend gyms; others to engage in power walking or jogging. Some will decide to join Tai Chi classes.

Questions:

--Have you have decided to get more exercise in one form or another?

--If "yes," why?

--If "yes," what form will the exercise take?

--If "no," why not
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Thursday, 11 December 2008 8:41:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Steven,

Yes, one of my New Year's Resolutions does
include exercising more...

Why?

Simply to stay fit. I feel better when I exercise.
I usually do a morning run around a nearby park.
On days that I don't do my run - I tend to feel
somewhat sluggish.

Lately I've been skipping the morning run - and doing
one in the evening. It's not as good.

I will try to do both morning and evening runs - in
the New Year. I've got another reason for these runs.
My niece's wedding is coming up
early next year, and I want to look gorgeous...
(Ah, vanity)...
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 11 December 2008 1:33:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I never do New Years' Resolutions because I always try to achieve my goals.
I don't see the new year as something like a new start, for me it is just a reason to celebrate but not to make resolutions.
Posted by daltong2005, Friday, 12 December 2008 2:07:52 AM
I will, I do every year, even mid year and season change, I make up my mind to eat better and walk much more.
And I fail each time.
My job has my total commitment, and its the right job for me, both gifts in life liking your job.
But it is endless stress, long hours, long road trips, some beginning hours before dawn.
And fast food just this once.
11am pie for breakfast.
Or 9pm fish and chips for tea while driving home.
Once walked for hours just because I wanted to, my legs no longer agree, I will make the same promise this year.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 12 December 2008 4:27:57 AM
Foxy,

Good luck with your exercise program.

daltong2005

You don’t make new years' resolutions. Fair enough. Do you have any plans to increase the amount of exercise you do?

Belly,

See below:

Health tip:

Don't sit down immediately after doing exercise. You may lose some of the benefit.

See:

http://research.missouri.edu/news/stories/071116_sitting.htm

This links to an abbreviated account of research results published in peer reviewed journals.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 12 December 2008 12:10:31 PM
Thanks Steven , truly thanks, printed it out and will use it.
Tell you the strangest thing about us men, we seem to think we are too strong to need to stay fit.
I have a health problem that makes walking too far imposable.
I have type two diabetes.
And all that comes with it, but I am going to truly try this year, am already.
Later, after I catch up on my work related e mails, I will drive into a hidden bush creek and walk along its banks,as far as I can, maybe further next time, my little dogs will love it.
regards
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 14 December 2008 6:37:05 AM
Belly,

Glad you found it useful.

Sciencedaily.com is an excellent resource. By searching with the keywords "exercise" and "diabetes" I found a whole series of articles you may find useful. Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081031161255.htm

A few suggestions.

(1) Get advice from your GP if you have a condition like diabetes. Let him advise you on a safe routine.

(2) Don't be overly ambitious. Start small.

(3) You need a DAILY routine. By all mean walk along the creek today. But regard that as a bonus, not part of your DAILY routine.

(4) It is best to have an exercise routine that you can incorporate easily and CONVENIENTLY into your DAILY life - eg a 15 minute brisk walk during lunch time and another 15 minutes in the evening.

(5)I find that unless you QUANTIFY you will fail to keep to an exercise routine. If your chosen form of exercise is walking get a pedometer – a gadget that measures the number of steps you take. Set a DAILY minimum baseline of steps. Then aim to increase your minimum daily step count by just a little bit every week.

For example suppose your baseline is a minimum of (say) 5,000 steps per day. After a week increase it to 5,100. Then to 5,200 and so on.

As you become fitter you can vary the routine. For example add a few bursts of speed.

(6) Try and do some things standing up. If you are watching a TV show, stand for say the first 10 minutes of the show.

Expect multiple benefits from exercise. Weight loss is one of them. But so is a more upbeat mood and better sleep.

Remember:

CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE EMBARKING ON AN EXERCISE ROUTINE.

Good luck Belly
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 14 December 2008 7:36:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy