The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Restrictions on learner drivers-is there an underlying motive?

Restrictions on learner drivers-is there an underlying motive?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I agree with your comments Gibo, as long as the bikes are seperated from pedestrians.

Speeding in my day Gibo meant your car could reach the speed limit on the open road. When I was a P Plater my 25 year old bomb overheated if you drove at 60 mph (100 kmh today) for more than about 5 minutes.

I'm not a parent, and although I would like to see the driving age raised, I think that it would be cruel for a parent to forbid their child to obtain a driver's licence when thay are legally allowed to do so.
Posted by Steel Mann, Thursday, 23 October 2008 1:45:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Things are indeed very different these days with the motors some kids put in their cars.

Honestly Im terrified of driving, hence why I don't have my license.

5 very close friends of mine have died in car accidents
1 cousin

4 seperate accidents.

im 20. And most young adults I know have had the same experiences.

Not surprisingly, 3 of these accidents were at night, in qiuet suburban back streets, near round a bouts.

Notice how fatal accidents always happen to P platers who have a car full of friends with them? They want to show-off their driving abilities. I think the new Green/Red plate policies are great!

Except for the fact that I'll have to be on my red plates while my friends are already on their greens haha!
Posted by music_industry_revolution, Thursday, 23 October 2008 5:48:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I live in QLD and also have a 16 year old on a learners permit. My wife and I share the supervision duties but what about the one who don't have access to a car or caring parents. Don't they deserve the right to better them selves?

I think the idea of a restricted licence would be a good starting point. Much like a 'work licence', but we still have the situation whereby fewer of them will get a licence which means they wont be able to get to work which means we stil have the skill shortage to think about.

When I got my licence back in the 70's my father impossed hiw own restrictions. I was only allowed to go to and from work for the first 6 months and no night driving during that time.

I think there is an answer here. We need to focuss on the fact that a car is a means of transport, not an entertainment tool to impress ones freinds.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 24 October 2008 6:03:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A slightly different type of restriction on "learner drivers" of another type.

OBSTRUCTION:

Yesterday, Mon the 27th 2008, < .. >, I headed off to the garden and the registry of the WA supreme court.

I have done much reading,
(Acts, rules, orders, admin matters, judgments)
and have an affidavit almost completed, replete with lots of appropriate, admissable attachments.

Some of that which I have read has come from the WASC web site"

" .. The Central Office can:
Give U information about practice and procedure in the general division ..
Give u information on what forms u may need to file ..
Check yr forms once u have filled them out ..
Make sure u have attached all that is required ..
Give u information on how to apply for a fee waiver ..
etc .. "

Contained therein was also info on what the central office cannot do. This also is good.

HOWEVER, upon arriving at the office, I was politely told to sod off and pay for a lawyer, without so much as a by yr leave and that was my lot.

Clearly, the purported public face and the reality of the manner of practice are out of sync. It would appear that when it comes to the practical manifestation of the concept of "equality before the law" that "we" have very different views.

Tis not in my view conducive to good governance and the advancement of the consciousness of the nation. I would b surprised to know that many "learned" people have not already written about the practical, systemic and overtly artificial restrictions placed on access to the courts. Seriously, we are not dealing with Rocket Science when it comes to these so called common law systems or a problem of the public being lacking in "grey mattter." That is not the problem at all in my view.

The public face and good intent to provide access to self representing litigants is not reflected by registry practice in my experience.
Posted by DreamOn, Tuesday, 28 October 2008 6:01:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy