The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Reducing computer greenhouse gas emissions 50% by 2020

Reducing computer greenhouse gas emissions 50% by 2020

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Tomw, it is good to hear that there is a goal of an absolute 50% cut in power use.

However, I bet that there is absolutely no intention for the Climate Savers Computing Initiative (and with respect, yourself) to have any input whatsoever into the issue of continuous growth. In fact, I bet they don't even have a single word to say about it.

I presume that they, like just about every other person or organisation working on energy reduction and improved efficiencies....and I've come across many on this forum....just blithely accept continuous human expansionism. (BTW, the link you provided wouldn't work)

This acceptance, or lack of significant input into the issue, makes a complete mockery of the goal of an absolute reduction in power usage of 50%...or of any significant amount for that matter.

Our population is growing rapidly, along with the still-increasing percentage of the population using PCs. Even a 25% or 50%... or 75%... reduction in power per computer will be greatly compromised if not completely cancelled out before long by this rate of increase.

Once we have achieved the best level of per-unit efficiency possible, the number of units will just continue to increase, thus continuously undermining the gains.

An absolute reduction in computer power usage requires an absolute limit to the overall scale of usage...or solid efforts to make it happen, implemented as a fundamental part of the strategy. To leave the magnitude of usage open-ended is just nonsensical.

It is also just completely nosensical for anyone who is conscious of the need to reduce overall power and resource usage and pollution output to not be heavily involved with efforts to limit the magnitude of the scale of the human demand for energy and resources.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 24 September 2008 1:58:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm probably about to make a complete fool of myself, given my lack of qualification in the ICT field.

I've read the "The Personal Computer and Monitors Energy Efficiency Strategy: Report and Recommended Plan of Action" to which tomw provided a link in his second post to this thread. I'm afraid I'm about to rain on his, and DEWHA's, parade.

The whole program is misconceived.

The Ethan Group research for the ACS found that "ICT usage by Australian businesses represents 2.84% of the emissions attributed to the stationary energy component (energy consumed excluding transportation), and 1.52% of the total national emissions, ...".

The key phrase is: "STATIONARY energy component". It is in the area of stationary energy supply that the most attainable reduction of GHG emissions is capable of being achieved. Be it by substitution of coal-fired generation with hot dry rock geothermal generation of electricity, for distribution via the grid, or be it by any number of distributed generation possibilities, grid-interactive or stand-alone, the supply of renewable non-GHG emitting electricity production will be most effectively made available to meet stationary energy requirements.

Once the power required for what are primarily desktop PCs or laptops is primarily being provided from non-GHG sources, reductions in power usage, be it absolute or pro-rata for such equipment, given its such relatively small significance in the stationary energy picture, are about to become virtually superfluous and insignificant. Any reductions achieved at the PC level will be completely overshadowed by those achieved at the generation point.

The computer power usage reductions will have become pointless, because the power they are now using will be CLEAN ALREADY.

It'll be double counting!

The requirement reeks to me of the use of a smokescreen of 'environmental responsibility' as a vehicle for the securing of selective corporate advantage for a favoured few. I reckon its all about forcing upgrading of hardware in such a way as to attempt re-entrenching proprietary software as the only option in government procurement.

Mandate Linux compatibility for all hardware.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Thursday, 25 September 2008 6:58:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Forrest

Personal question - although it is valid in light of topic.

I currently run Windows ME (due to lack of finance and a lot of patience).

To run Ubuntu/Linux do I have to reformat my hard drive, or is it possible to install alongside Windows and if it works, then I could just delete windows ME? Would this involve sectioning hard drive?

I already use Firefox. And would love to be free of Microsoft completely. And of course this means I would retain my present system, thus recycling. (although I could use a larger monitor).
Posted by Fractelle, Thursday, 25 September 2008 9:35:22 AM
Fractelle,
If you start to install Linux the first thing it will do will be to partition your disc by giving you the options of setting
the size of the partition s.
Before you do start you need to run defrag on windows in case there are
files scattered across the drive.

I have installed Linux on machines with less than 10gb for Linux.

Cheers, but it can be a steep learning curve.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 25 September 2008 1:23:22 PM
Bazz

I didn't know Linux would give me that option. Thank you.
Also will have to create some extra space, and I regularly defrag - something that windows ME demands.

All I need now is the time and the right frame of mind.
Posted by Fractelle, Thursday, 25 September 2008 2:36:11 PM
Fractelle,

How to begin? It is a great oddysey upon which you express an interest in embarking.

Truly, if you persist you will learn the real meaning of hatred. The roadblocks seemingly deliberately placed in the way of such transition to a new plane of existence will astound and frustrate you. Relative immunity to forced obsolescence will be your reward in the end, however. Also reverence. You will be a guru.

That I, of all people, should be considered fit to advise you has taken me somewhat by surprise. But I will try, seeing that you, as a number person and self-confessed nerd, should presumably very rapidly assimilate the concepts and jargon of the Linux world. I am only a word person, and it is hard for me. You will soon leave me for dead, I'm sure. (Hehe, something from which you will no doubt derive great satisfaction, recent events considered.)

What I suggest you do is register on the Ubuntu Forums, similarly to what you have done on OLO. This is the link to the Forums Home page: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php . Bookmark it. The privacy security is, I believe comparable. The Ubuntu Forums, in addition to normal posting facilities, have a Private Messaging facility. There is no word limit, and believe me, there will be a need for many questions and answers if you want a pain-free and satisfying transition. Bazz has given good advice re the learning curve.

Just let me know your userID should you decide to take this course, and I will be happy to PM you with further questions re your hardware specs and some general strategies for making the transition. My userID on the UF is the same as here, Forrest Gumpp. One of my posts there is on this page: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=399997&page=30 . It is a summary of things you can do in Linux you cannot do in Windows.

Sorry for the delay. I started to answer you straight away, but there were just too many questions, and too few words.

Cheers.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Thursday, 25 September 2008 4:18:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy