The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Nuclear Renaissance expected to get thumbs up from taskforce!

Nuclear Renaissance expected to get thumbs up from taskforce!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Bazz,

you said, 'To get the power required would
be a very expensive exercise.'

Today's paper reports that to build 25 reactors in Australia will cost $750 Billion, for construction alone.

That would make a very good downpayment for rooftop solar on every house in the country. The economy of scale in producing those should bring the cost down, improve the efficiency and spark some creative solutions to your perceived materials shortage.

I don't know which century you live in Bazz, but battery power has come a long way, especially with the evolution of laptop computers and mobile phones.

Halogen and LED lights use minimal power and Australia has massive supplies of both natural gas and accumulated garbage from which methane can be extracted if required. Many people already extract methane from composting toilets and household compost.

Rather than enslave future generations to your nuclear obsessions, let's insulate our houses, build for the climate and get off the destructive work-ethic treadmill.

It only requires the will and a little imagination.
Posted by accent, Saturday, 25 November 2006 12:03:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz

Are you suggesting that patients are currently dying when there is a power failure in our hospitals?
Posted by dickie, Saturday, 25 November 2006 12:51:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wouldn't it be better to develop technologies that are clean to use and don't need special storage places. Current energy providers just want us to use products that they can sell to us. Free clean energy has to be better than almost clean energy that you have to pay for. Greed is the only reason for not developing other technologies besides nuclear power.
Posted by Free Thought, Wednesday, 29 November 2006 2:53:31 AM
You had better believe that short loss of power is a problem in
operating theaters. I have never heard of a patient dying, but then
nobody would tell me anyway. There are no break systems available but
hospitals being cash strapped rely from my information on prioroty
supply.

Thats a bit off the thread, however everyone seems to be just assuming
that something will turn up to provide us with moderate amounts of power.

But what if nothing turns up ?

It will be too late to start doing something about it when it is obvious
that nothing is going to be available. It will cost a lot less to
prepare for the worse now than what it will cost then.
It is ridiculous to waffle on about conspirosy theories.
If that is the level of the discussion better to close it.

BTW just yesterday; another report on shortage of solar cell material.
Prices of solar cells are esculating because of the shortage.
The manufacturers will be out bidding each other no doubt.
I did see an optimistic report on biodiesal made from palm oil.
Has a better EROEI than other plants.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 29 November 2006 9:04:06 AM
Still bazz you havnt told us what planet we will be getting the billions of tons of fuel quality uranium since usable sources are within a decade or two of exhaustion. I think you should read up on geology to understand the rarity of fuel grade uranium. Even if we had infinite uranium it takes more green house emissions to power up a nuclear powerstation than the savings of a power staion in its life time. Recently there has been concerns about resources to make concrete, if we havnt got concrete to build skyscrapers and dams how are we going build nuclear powerstations? With pressed earth? What will we use to constantly pour onto a melt down for the next 200 000 years?
If you worry about lack of batteries then I suggest you start knitting jumpers to keep warm in winter.
Posted by West, Wednesday, 29 November 2006 9:35:17 AM
WEll West, whats your solution other than wishful thinking ?

You seem to be all up in la la land with Mr Micourber.

Either that or you are really Joe Bejoulkie Petersen, you know;
"Now don't you worry about that !"

Unless you have the technical ability to grasp some of the implications
of your suggestions to develop systems to supply power etc etc then I
suggest you do some private study on the subject of electricity,
power systems and electronics.
Then you might be able to make some suggestions other than "it can be done".
It might be possible to do what you believe but so far it is not looking good.
Many people have put lots of thought into it but most fall down on EROEI.
Then overcome the tendency of some to suggest the big end of town will
stop it all
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 29 November 2006 10:34:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy