The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Todd Carney: a blight on the game

Todd Carney: a blight on the game

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The NRL is my game, one I miss come summer and wait for in near pain.
But this bloke is a symptom not the problem.
One of many who have let the game and its fans down but bigger problems exist.
Refereeing standards have never been as low.
Super league may not be the name of our game but it is controlled by TV and Medea owners not its true owners the fans.
Control that stops those who question poor performance by refs , sometimes so very wrong results Mondays questions include , did some one get paid to get it that wrong?
The NRL needs the freedom to question why it can not reduce entry fees to bring crowds back and who owns the game.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 6:02:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

I take your (implied) point that whatever punishment is necessary be part of a process and not administered in one stroke.

This will allow other elements to come into play in solving problems in the game as well as giving individual misfits the opportunity to rehabilitate themselves (if that is possible). If it's not, then they can be taken care of later. The only time the guillotine should be used is when one person or group threatens to derail the whole process.
Posted by RobP, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 9:22:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm a big fan of the game and I feel that players have a duty to conduct themselves properly when they are away from the game. They are ambassadors for the game whether training, taking part in a game, at home, at work or at leisure. The same applies to any sport, or indeed any high profile profession.
Posted by JW, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 11:15:54 AM
Well, to be honest I can't stand Rugby League. Rob asks, "what is it about NRL players in particular?" Well, the answer is they're pretty dumb. League is a dumbed down version of Rugby which is a dumbed down parallel sport to "football" (which is the "real" name for soccer).

To see a bunch of huge, ape like, over muscled boofheads bash and barge at each other is disgusting.......in fact I nearly just regurgitated my cappuccino at the very thought of it.

Now "football"........there's a game of "real" skill and intelligence. And it's not played by "apes".
Posted by philips, Thursday, 31 July 2008 1:25:21 AM
I agree philips, you can't beat a free-flowing and skilful game of AFL as a spectator sport. But I'd have to concede that dumbness isn't monopolised by the NRL players. Ever heard of Sam Newman, Crackers Keenan, Robbie "Mad Dog" Muir, Ronnie Andrews ...?
Posted by RobP, Thursday, 31 July 2008 9:18:23 AM
philips,

Yeah, great. Because someone is muscular, and plays a body contact sport, they're dumb. Get real!
Posted by Usual Suspect, Friday, 1 August 2008 1:29:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy