The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Rudd federal government has the answer to binge drinking and drugs.

The Rudd federal government has the answer to binge drinking and drugs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Belly,

Pentecostals withholding medical treatment do exist unfortunately, but incidents like this are very rare. Pentecostals do not act like Christian Scientists and reject medical help. One of God's ways of providing healing is by giving man the intelligence to invent medicines.

While I attend a Pentecostal church, I do not fully support everything that they teach and no longer consider myself to be a Pentecostal, but rather a Progressive Neo-Charismatic Christian, but in my town there is no church fitting that description and one of the Pentecostal Churches is the nearest to what I like. Gibo talks a lot about miracles that happen overseas, and I also hear these reports in my church, while I don't totally reject these reports, I'm not necessarily going to believe them just because a Christian said it happened. I want to see some sort of documented proof. It's been reported that major evangelists like Benny Hinn put able-bodied people in wheelchairs and then pray for them to walk, which of course they do.

Gibo's claims not to be a radical I totally reject. Having spent 14 of the last 23 years attending various Pentecostal Churches, he is one of three most extreme Christians that I have known.
Posted by Steel Mann, Monday, 30 June 2008 9:21:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Where do you start Gibo asks. Data. Get the data. Forget all this nonsense about "standard drinks" take stock of what people are actually drinking in their own words - and ask why.

Some of the answers I will venture suggest are in the products and the marketing of the products. We saw this with cigarettes and Australia took increasingly strong action to reduce harm. Now, its uncool and uncommon. Try standing in a queue in a bank in Madrid and reflect on the harm reduction we have achieved here at home.

A complete advertising ban on all non- craft ( fizz + sugar + flavour + ethanol) made beverages would be draconian, but will start making an in road. Prohibition of product is useless.

The bigger picture? The Rudd government does NOT have the answer to binge drinking, but what it DOES have the answers to are several things which are progressivley destroying our society:

1. The rule of the corporations in just about every aspect of life from groceries and fuel to energy and resources. Governments no longer rule much of what we do.

2. The addiction we have to consuming stuff we do not need.

Hope comes from a feeling of community and that is disappearing fast where I live. Significant numbers FLY in FLY out. They are awash with money and they are unwittingly destroying the community where they work and the one where they sleep. Disconnection at both ends. And in between, using air transport. Just show up at Perth airport at 5.30 and you;ll get the picture. Resource companies are forced this way because no one can build homes fast enough.

Hope will emerge again from a stable life where younger people will see their future.

Bill
Posted by renew, Monday, 30 June 2008 10:04:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must be missing something. I haven't seen it proven that we have a generation of hopeless people.

I suppose many spruiking this idea aren't generating much hope for the kiddies. I hope they're not in the majority, or it may well be a self fulfilling prophecy.

renew,

You must be watching a different Rudd governmnet to me.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Monday, 30 June 2008 11:14:53 AM
How come you think they arent hopeless Usual Suspect?
We hardly have a generation on alcohol, drugs and wild behaviour for nothing.
The movement one job to another also speaks of the terrible lack of direction.

Data renew?
The data I would love to see collected is data on Christian revivals down through the ages.
Born again Christians testify joyously to the wonderful, marvellous experience of how Jesus gave them hope at the moment of receiving Him into their lives. Thats the real data...millions of born againers praisng God through becoming saved through a personal commitment to His Son Jesus Christ.
Posted by Gibo, Monday, 30 June 2008 12:40:06 PM
I think they had one of those at at Jonestown in the late '70s. As I recall, the crime rate went way down there after that.
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 30 June 2008 12:48:12 PM
Jonestown was a breakaway group that got deceived by their leader into unscriptural behaviour...i.e. believing he had all of the answers. Poor people. They sold their houses and put all of their hopes in bad leadership and got taken down to Sth America to their deaths.
Men who reckon they are the Christ always fall into darkness.
Posted by Gibo, Monday, 30 June 2008 2:37:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy