The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Happiness

Happiness

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I know that this is something we all know about, but how many truly have it? And if you really did, wouldn't it always be with you?

I used to think that most people were mainly happy. Now I'm not so sure. I know that many are sometimes, especially when they're not at work. I'm not blaming work, because we all have to. Mind you, workplaces could do with an injection of emotion and warmth. I know this would improve things, but so would changing the way we feel.

Now imagine this. Happiness doesn't depend upon what our job, or family, or friends, or money offers, since it comes from within. We have all felt this bubble up from the inside-out.

What this would mean is that we'd always be happy, no matter where we are.
Posted by Haralambos, Friday, 13 June 2008 10:43:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting thread, but my answer will only prove we are all different our happiness will depend on different things.
I have been the happiest when doing a job I like, at work and home.
And if the job gets me down happiness is impossible till it is fixed.
It is even to me strange that our once layed back lifestyle has gone, we often fail to get away from work enough.
Like every one my dream is to win enough money to do my special thing, beach fishing on an abandoned beach far away.
But would I be happy?
In my country village a 42 year old lives who never worked, he got a job once and left he said it ruined his lifestyle! truly did after a week.
He seems to be the happiest bloke in town but maybe its a mask?
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 14 June 2008 6:07:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Haralambos,

I'm more than happy to settle for little bits of 'happiness.'

Happiness for me results from the possession or attainment of what I consider good. Yesterday, I spent the entire day with my mother - who's suffering from early signs of dementia. It was a wonderful day, and seeing her enjoying herself made me realize just how precious time
spent with her really is.

Conditions in our lives change - and we have to deal with them as best as we can.

In life it's rare that every wish of ours is gratified. I'm content when at least some of mine are. But I also realize that I have to accept some of the responsibility. I can't depend on others - to make my happy.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 14 June 2008 12:30:54 PM
Once my Aunt said something to me to which my usually placid Uncle replied "Leave her alone, love, she's had a hard life."...and I was first gobsmacked and then indignant.

ME? A hard life? I consider I've had the most incredible, exciting, wonderful life ever. Sure, there's been more than the usual share of bad stuff in that life...but the other side of the coin is that, because of this, there's been a more than usual share of kindness from strangers, generosity, love, friendship, sharing and laughter. Life, I believe, isn't drama but a melodrama: even within the most serious things the ridiculous intrudes.

I was reflecting only recently that I am a truly happy human being. Sure, there are glitches and irritations and maybe, from the outside looking in, others might wonder how on earth I could be happy. But I truly love my life.

I could be working somewhere I earned REAL money...but I love my job. I don't wake up in the morning with that feeling of boredom or dread or apathy at the thought of going to work. I could have a house of my own and security and all those things that are supposed to make us happy but then I would have worry and angst and insecurity too.

All those trite old sayings like there's two sides to every coin; nothing comes for free; you always pay a price; you have to take the good with the bad..etc. are true. Society doesn't prepare us for that though, so we keep on looking for the no-strings-attached kind of happiness that only exists, as The Chilli Peppers say, "in a Hollywood basement". Getting the balance right is the important thing.

Some people think it takes a lot of strength to take the path least trodden but I think it more a question of stubborness. It can be hard swimming against the tide but if one is stubborn enough to make choices that aren't governed by "I can't!" what one can be is...happy.
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 14 June 2008 12:39:56 PM
Happiness depends on circumstances while contentment is a spiritual condition that is available to those willing to abide by the umpires decision. Happiness is often fleeting because it depends on the approval of others while contentment is being at peace with self and Maker. The permissive person is often happy but never content because lust always wants more and is never satisfied for more than the moment. A contented person knows that they are loved by God and others. Happiness can be found in killing others (look at the celebrations by the Arabs after 9/11) or in being kind (Mother Theresa). The pursuit of happiness is folly while the pursuit of contentment is wise.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 14 June 2008 12:57:55 PM
I saw a billboard recently with the following message:

"Persistence pays...remember, even the snails made it onto the ark."

I thought it was clever... :)
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 14 June 2008 3:54:30 PM
"SOME DAYS ARE DIAMONDS SOME DAYS ARE STONES."

The title of the well known song (to country music fans anyway) by John Denver.
Posted by sharkfin, Saturday, 14 June 2008 10:15:06 PM
*And if you really did, wouldn't it always be with you? *

Well no, as that is not how brains are wired. The brain works
on all these feedback loops, to create something they call
homeostasis, ie. not happy, not sad, but balanced. From that
point you then experience things. People who suffer from
constant anxiety for instance, have a problem with achieving
that balance.

Methinks that genetics plays a big role here, as the chemical
factory that we call the brain, is based on the dna, genes
etc, which we inherited. I know people who seem naturally content
with life, much as their relatives are. Others are the opposite.

That said, there is much that we can do about how we feel,
by influencing our state of mind with various thoughts.

I read a great quote recently.

If you look at what you don't have in life, you don't have
anything. If you look at what you have in life, you have
everything. Very true!
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 14 June 2008 11:38:26 PM
Hi Belly,

What I'm saying is that there's another type of happiness. This one doesn't depend on anything. And we all have it. Sometimes it makes its presence known. Just think of a quiet moment that you've enjoyed recently. Most likely, you were not doing much. Now in that moment, a gentle happiness rose from within.
Posted by Haralambos, Saturday, 14 June 2008 11:41:47 PM
Hi Foxy,

In my own way, I'm saying something similar. I'd even say that we are responsible for our own happiness. Of course being with others makes us happy too, but its ultimately up to us.
Posted by Haralambos, Saturday, 14 June 2008 11:49:55 PM
Hi Romany,

I like what you say about taking the path less trodden and never giving up. Now I'm not a fan of our consumer society, but NIKE has the best slogan. JUST DO IT, they say. And its so true.
Posted by Haralambos, Saturday, 14 June 2008 11:58:57 PM
Hi runner,

Essentially, there's no difference between happiness and contentment. The two are in fact ONE.
Posted by Haralambos, Sunday, 15 June 2008 12:03:57 AM
The very sound of the word "Happiness" sounds well... happy! It is such a lovely word. And no, I am not under the influence of mind altering substances.

Now I know this will sound really new age and Buddhist like but the only moment we have is NOW. It is when we start to think of regrets or bitterness of yesterday or the dread of facing something tomorrow that our immediate sense of happiness can be disturbed.

I try and practice this every day. I'm still learning but what a wonderful philosophy eh?

Romany, I loved what you wrote. So eloquent. Thanks.
Posted by TammyJo, Monday, 16 June 2008 6:16:40 PM
Happiness cannot be found in someone else. If you are with a partner or spouse that you expect to make you happy, well forget it. We have to find what happiness is for ourselves. We need to listen to the voice inside that says 'you are gifted at this and that'. Act now. Do it and don't be afraid to try. If we don't act, we'll grow old feeling bitter and twisted that we never gave these things a go.

I my own exploration I find happiness comes of making dreams comes true if only bit by bit. Travelling made possible simply by saying "I am going to do this. I will save all my $5 notes and go next September". Meaning it and doing some little thing towards it is very satisfying and a sense of control and therefore happiness comes of it. Realise your goal.

One will always be discontent if they expect someone else to make them happy. Look at the celebrities. Say no more. Not even money makes them happy.

I say 'The Best Things In Life Are Free'. Happiness also comes when one simplies their life. I have never heard a city dweller hate the camping trips they go on. Let's try to unclutter our lives NOW, get control and then more happiness will come. It is working for me. By the way, do something nice for someone else EVERY DAY.
Posted by Cakers, Friday, 20 June 2008 12:13:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy