The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > VIOLENCE IN AUSTRALIA - WHAT'S CAUSING IT?

VIOLENCE IN AUSTRALIA - WHAT'S CAUSING IT?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Well, you've given me some much needed giggles here, AND I agree that the tendency now is to sensationalize.

BUT;- I also believe that particularly in the 'first world', anger has increased dramatically. People are angry, and I believe that this is because they feel threatened, something that has been calculatedly instilled by Governments.

Those who are kept under pressure take it out on each other, but as a mass they are easier to control.

It's an oldie, but a goodie.
Posted by Ginx, Thursday, 28 February 2008 12:41:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dave here People & Governments want to start to realise there is only one drug that has consistently risen in use & that's alcohol.In the 50's Bex & vincent powders,60's marihuana & hashish then LSD, 70's speed,cocaine & valium[mummies little helper]80's crack cocaine, speed & heroine,90's beginning of the more designer style drugs & hydro cannabis 2000 it's now 'ice' gbh etc not forgetting the old truckies 'shakers' from 60's to 80's but the consumption of alcohol has continued to be more available & consumed in volume by younger more volite & less supervised & controlled people.It's about time that parents got themselves home instead of thinking they are still single & rare thier children & it's time governments stopped supporting these tax grabs for the benefit of revenue
May your Lord shine on you all well
God Bless from Dave
ps remeber it was prophetised anarchy would be one of the signs
Posted by dwg, Thursday, 28 February 2008 12:41:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Vanilla - but don't you see? If we had more smacking, we'd have sorer butts. We'd need to spend more time standing instead of sitting, therefore we'd be more tired and hey hey! Tired people are less violent. It's quite brilliant, if not a little obtuse, though perhaps if god had mandated that we all experience haemorrhoids every few months or so, we'd achieve much the same result.

Alternatively, He could have made things less violent, but that doesn't check the 'works in mysterious ways' box.

Runner - fair enough. I think sanctimonious religions have screwed up the world plenty, so I guess we're united in thinking that if everybody just dumped the other dumb beliefs and adopted ours, everything would be hunky-dory.
The difference is, I know that if we all opted in for one belief system there would be less conflict, but in your case, if it's not your brand, there's to be smiting, hellfire and rampant sex. (Actually, I don't see the problem with the last one, but my beliefs are more fun than yours).

Ahh DWG. Nice to know there's been a prophecy. I guess if you make enough obtuse claims about nuttery, a few will come true.

I'll make a prophecy that you won't be the last OLO reader to warn us of impending doom. I'll also state that one day, violent storms will wrack the planet (whether you choose to believe that this is proven by the next cyclone that hits North Qld is up to you. You can take the global warming angle if you want. That's the great thing about prophecies. Lots of angles if you're as creative as those funky bible authors).
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 28 February 2008 1:26:54 PM
"The Age" newspaper in Melbourne conducted an investigation which coincided with an Age/Nielsen poll on February 23, 2008.

It stated that while 56% of Melbourne residents believed their city was a better place to live than it was five years ago, 72% said violence is more prevalent.

At the same time, data obtained by the Victorian Coalition through freedom of information reveals that crimes against individuals jumped by more than 100% in 12 Victorian outer-suburban and regional municipalities.

According to police figures, during the past financial year there were more than 2000 assaults on Melbourne streets, (does that count as a "spate?"), a 17% increase on the previous year and a 24% rise since 2003-04. These are not figures to be proud of.

Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon is under mounting pressure to reduce violence in the CBD and has injected more officers into problem areas. The result, according to police, is that more drunks are being locked up, more arrests are being made for a variety of offences, including assault, and more penalties are being slapped on recalcitrant licensees.

When the Australian Hotels Association calls for a freeze on all new bars and nightclubs in Melbourne's centre, it is clear there is a serious problem. And when a senior policeman refers to the CBD's party precincts as
"alcohol-fuelled bedlam" that has led to frightening violence, injury and death, there is no question that the situation has spun dangerously out of control and that something has to be done to help create order and responsible serving and consumption of alcohol."

Last week-end crowds of 300,000 people roamed the CBD, such is the police's fear for their own safety that they are demanding Taser guns for protection. Super city venues holding up to 7000 people and clusters of bars and clubs in particular inner-suburban strips such as Chapel and Brunswick street exacerbate the problem. Nor is this culture of violence restricted to Melbourne, regional centres such as Geelong and Ballarat have felt its force and have introduced measures to combat it.

Cheers.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 28 February 2008 1:34:11 PM
Oh, and by the way... Did I say "Thank-You" one and all, for your really insightful inputs.

They were much appreciated.

I think I just might head for the hills myself...
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 28 February 2008 1:42:44 PM
Folks:
It`s all about CRIME and PUNISHMENT! Today we live in a world where rampant crime seems to be the norm. It is splashed all over Television, Movies, Computer Games, The pages of the media!

The fear of retribution for offences committed has been reduced as the drift away from religion and the consequent fear of punishment by our God (of whichever faith you are!) along with the general attitude of modern day youth, ......a lot of whom seem to have a chip on their shoulders and seem to think that they can have whatever they want by fair means or by foul, and at the same time think that the world owes them a living!

We need to take back the streets from the hoodlums, punish offenders severely where appropriate, instead of smacking the foot that kicks a mate to death! We need to reintroduce the Death Penalty for certain crimes that are proved "beyond any shadow of a doubt", and for offenders that are incarcerated for serious crimes, return them to breaking rocks instead of providing a home away from home where these recalcitrents can while away their days of "punishment" enjoying their drugs and generally luxuriating at the Taxpayers expense, awaiting the day when they can return to the streets and continue their nefarious habits unrepentant and all too ready to continue where they left off!
Posted by Cuphandle, Thursday, 28 February 2008 1:58:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy