The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Libs give up on 12-year IR crusade

Libs give up on 12-year IR crusade

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
ASymeonakis

Wow the devil himself would be proud that one man could do so much damage. It's amazing how Mr Rudd got elected on me too ism. The only things Mr Rudd promised different were the symbols of apologizing to the saved or stolen generation and the Kyoto agreement which has absolutely no practical use. I wonder who you will vent your anger to now that your punching bag is having a well earned rest!
Posted by runner, Thursday, 21 February 2008 5:06:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, we'll see what the new government can do. They won largely because of "Work Choices." The people weren't having a bar of it and the Libs. finally got the message. Hockey admitted on TV - that even prior to the election many Lib. party members were saying "Work-Choices" was a huge mistake. But the "old man" didn't listen.
So, out with the "old" and in with the "new".

It should be an interesting time.

I'm enjoying watching "Question-Time" in Parliament - (on my days off).
The new "Speaker of the House" doesn't seem as biased as the last one.
And everyone is so polite - but it's early days ...
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 21 February 2008 6:58:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LMAO!$!^!=! Ahahahaha...

Liberals you really are wolfing down that humble pie.
Posted by The Mule, Thursday, 21 February 2008 7:10:16 PM
Rudd promised a great deal more than runner would have us believe, and he is delivering.
The credit however for the ALP win and the removal of workchoices can hardly be laid at the door of so few.
Across Australia even in country towns the little people spoke wifes and children greeted the your rights at work bus in the smallest towns.
Unspoken but not forgotten NSWs John Robinson Robbo ran as good a campaign as anyone in this country.
I am often offended by those in high places and positions getting the credit for the actions of others but in Robbos case we owe him much, he in my view should have won the leadership of the ACTU.
Sometimes those who control union numbers at voting times for such positions betray the trust of the many to prove they can.
The death of workchoices matches any victory the union movement ever had.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 22 February 2008 5:18:57 AM
The Libs may have given up but how much will things really change? My partner works in the construction industry and there was a major incident the other night - gas was released through a live site without warning, a potentially fatal event which should immediately lead to work stopping on the site. However the contractor boss told them "if you don;t get the * back to work right now I will have you all up for $28,000".

The first thing you get told in any site induction, and you hear it every single day, is "if you don't think it is 100% safe for you to undertake your job, it is your responsibility to stop work and call attention to the problem". Anyone who has worked in construction or mining gets this drilled in to them, but it is always the same with the bosses. "Get back to work and mind your own business". I have had 2 friends blacklisted in the industry for speaking up on serious safety issues.

The Union said night shift should go back to work even though they serious doubts about job safety, as the ABCC could bust them for unapproved industrial action. The disgusting construction gestapo (ABCC) has so much power over individual workers with threats of $28,000 fines that bosses think they can make workers do anything they want, even if it means risking lives. The Rudd government has not committed to disbanding this undemocratic, underhanded secret-police, rather the opposite.

While ever it is still possible for the ABCC to force individuals to testify against their will, without legal representation, and be forcibly gagged from discussing the matter with anyone, nobody in this country should feel like they live in a democracy
Posted by jones514, Friday, 22 February 2008 9:51:21 PM
Thanks for that post jones514, it helps when other speak the truth.
I am a trade union official in guess what ? construction.
Daily I wrestle the Tiger, hopefully with respect and debate not threats but it is hard to stay civil.
Next week starts as every one has of late, safe conduct at work is suffering as rain delays jobs.
Rudd can not change anything over night we work still under workchoices.
It says in every safety book job expediency NEVER takes the place of safety!
Want to bet?
22 years I worked in road maintenance and repair,was union delegate in drafting the first roadworks traffic control manual.
I have leadership awards from the then state minister by my head.
On this site I highlighted very real danger, every one did, quote it is ok our traffic management plan has been ok,ed by every one!
After 3 hard weeks my claim the plan in place would kill both motorists and workers.
WE UNCOVERED THE FACT the plan was drawn up but not in place!
Now for the third time it is on again , ok on paper but not in place.
Fear filled workers not game to complain.
Tell your husband to use this it worked for me.
Tell the bosses every one of them , you are saying it is unsafe.
And you are officially reminding them its them who insist it is not.
And if it is unsafe? truly unsafe not miss use of the term? DO NOT DO IT!
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 23 February 2008 5:49:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy