The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is flying still as safe?

Is flying still as safe?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Is flying still as safe as it used to be?

Judging with the current state of affairs, it seems planes are dropping out of our skies a little more than they used to do!

I used to fly on a regular basis, but with the recent blustered crash landing at heathrow, has some eyebrows raised. The questions are without answers and it's as though they are buying time to come up with a believable excuse as to why this happened.

What happened to the statement of "there are more accidents on the roads than in the air" This statement also makes me want to hurl, as there is a lot more chance of survival in a car and assistance is quicker in a car, than having to firstly hope for any chance of surviving the initial fall from 30000 ft!

Lets face it, with all the safety precautions inside the plane, heads between knees, oxygen masks dropping from above, floatation devices, assuming the crash position, will not stop you dying if you are suddenly engulfed in flames at some tremendous height, about to hit the runway at 200mph+...something is amiss here.
Posted by SPANKY, Sunday, 20 January 2008 7:50:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Spanky, not making any predictions about 2008, but according to Geneva based Aircraft Crashes Record Office (ACRO), 2007 had the least number of incidents since 1963, and the trend is certainly not upwards over the last decade.
http://www.baaa-acro.com/Communique%20de%20presse-UK-010108.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_crash

Hopefully you find this somewhat reassuring.
Posted by rojo, Monday, 21 January 2008 12:32:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Flying is still safe, heard the story's about those who will not fly? not at all?
Sitting in fear and sweat on that first ever flight some talked them into?
That was me, I kid you not I was ready for death ever inch of the way.
Though of brave ways to die and wondered how we could have such a rocky road in that very small plane so high in the sky.
Not now, no more practicing the words of solidarity forever while waiting to plunge out of the sky.
But worried about tomorrow, I must drive for 6 hours on the Pacific Highway, fingers crossed.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 21 January 2008 6:03:36 AM
SPANKY- " Trust You' smile.

Good one , As we sit awaiting our flight I thought I would pass a bit of time and pop in to see what you were all chatting about today.
`Perfect`

Still as they say one man`s loss is anothers gain.

Perhaps belly may actually find God after all.

Start praying would be my advise.
funny as guys!
See you all on our safe `return`.

PS I hope the plane doesn`t fall out of the shy before we get the chance to post our 'new poem'
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Monday, 21 January 2008 10:38:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is flying still safe? Yes it is! I have flown half way around the world, and from one capital city to another. Planes will fall out of the sky for a number of reasons, but thats the risk you take.
Don't live in fear!
Posted by evolution, Monday, 21 January 2008 5:34:14 PM
Thanks Rojo,....errr I feel much better now...
Posted by SPANKY, Tuesday, 22 January 2008 5:20:02 PM
SPANKY
You havent taken off on a long flight have you?
We miss your humour and sensible comments.
F stands for fun so we want a F-ing SPANKY back
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 10:21:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy