The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Human biases

Human biases

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I couldn't find any passages online from Stephen Jay Gould where he argues quite forcibly that human intelligence shouldn't be considered as any sort "peak" of evolutionary progress, but I did find this page, which argues against Gould quite lucidly:

http://www.nonzero.org/newyorker.htm

I'm not sure the author goes as far as concluding that humans are inherently more superior to other species because of our unique abilities though.

Seeing as nobody else (except perhaps Foxy) seems to be interested in presenting the other side of the case, I figured I should do it myself!
Posted by wizofaus, Sunday, 13 January 2008 7:11:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wiz,
You throw in the Nazi question as a bit of spoiler.
But it may be closer to the mark that it first seems.

In Darwinian terms there are no morally right or wrong outcomes.

If the Nazis had won and imprinted their ID on humanity.
They would demonstratively have been superior.

Just as if organism A eliminates organism B . It makes no difference if B was ‘nicer’, ‘prettier’ or even had a more diverse gene pool.

In human terms – populations & memes:
The most rigidly ‘moral’(qualification: when dealing with outsiders) will lose-out to the least.

And some of the reasons may be :
– The more moral are (more) constrained in how they answer external threats ,and
– The more moral usual have less children , and oft, end up, cuckold like, ultimately subsidising/ raising the more numerous children of the less moral
Posted by Horus, Sunday, 13 January 2008 10:26:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Wiz,

Flies carry germs that cause serious diseases . They cause disease in animals and plants (filariasis, dysentery... et cetera). Cockroaches are considered household pests - they also carry germs. Bacteria are simple organisms that consist of one cell (some species cause diseases, many others are helpful). But if you seriously believe in their superiority to human beings - well, I don't believe you... However, to compare whales to cockroaches - is unfortunately placing this discussion on a totally different level.

All I can say in conclusion is to quote the great Greek playwright Sophocles (about 496 - 406 B.C.)who said long ago in the great chorus of his "Antigone," - "Wonders there are many ... but none more wonderful than man." He added, "His is speech and wind-swift thought!"
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 13 January 2008 5:43:24 PM
Foxy, as a human being myself, of course I value other humans above bacteria, or flies or cockroaches. My point is that this is an entirely human judgement, made by standards that humans consider important. But bacteria, flies and cockroaches are just as much spectacular successes of evolution as are humans. Indeed, in many aspects they're arguably a lot more successful.
"Complexity" itself does not indicate inherent superiority. No-one rates, for example, scientific theories or mathematical formulae by their complexity: anyone can make a theory or formula more complex than it needs to be. Perhaps humans are far more complex than they really need to be, too?
Posted by wizofaus, Sunday, 13 January 2008 9:12:12 PM
All species have their special designed abilities and a designated place and purpose on this planet. However humanity is the only species with a responsible and moral commission for the care of this planet. So far we could improve on our record.
Posted by Philo, Monday, 14 January 2008 9:49:50 AM
From Peter Stokes "It’s official - the Godwit makes the longest non-stop migratory flight in the world. A Bar-tailed Godwit has been tracked from its Southern Hemisphere summertime home in New Zealand to its breeding ground in Alaska - and back again.

A female known as E7, landed in New Zealand after taking just a week to fly 11,500 km from Alaska. Unlike seabirds, which feed and rest on long journeys, Godwits just keep going. E7 set her first record on the way north, when she flew non-stop for 10,200 km to Yalu Jiang in China. She then flew a further 5,000 km to the Godwit breeding grounds in Alaska. And on the way back to New Zealand, her electronic tag still working, E7 set another record of 11,500 km.

As if that is not amazing enough, any chicks E7 produced during her two months in Alaska will make the same journey. At just two months of age. “Some might fly down in flocks with adults but other ones will fly down without any adults involved at all which is pretty amazing,” said Dr Battley, Massey University ecologist.

What an amazing design that man can but stand in awe of because she, E7, is so wonderfully made. Why is there such a bird? Why does it need
to fly so far?

Accident? Random chance? This bird just happened to find its way? No.
Very intelligent and creative design and great aerodynamics by a very Intelligent Designer. She was purpose-built to fly because the designer wanted us to know.

The Bible says that through His Creation we know Him in our hearts. Romans 1: 18-20 states, “Since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities - his eternal
power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.”

Science is now revealing so many new and wonderful aspects of God’s creation. We might ask the same questions about man".
Posted by Philo, Monday, 14 January 2008 10:33:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy