The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 2008 Your Views?

2008 Your Views?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Not star gazing, not wishes but my opinion of what this year holds.
Well hope in this list.
I think and hope the new speaker of the house will be more honest, have much more regard for honesty and balance.
With real luck he/she may restore order in the house, our system leaves much to be ashamed of as Parliament looks like a drunken chook house.
I hope and believe we will see a true inquiry into the AWB, if we do not? we will have every right to feel let down.

I fear, personal debt and balance of payments will impact on us all not a rise in GST but we will pay for both.
America will not go broke but we are only at the start of lending problems, worse to come.
What do you see for 2008?
On the record as I said pre polling by the 12 month anniversary of the election Rudd will be as liked in the polls as he was that nigh.
Conservatives by then will have another leader and we will have seen at least 2 by elections as a result of former cabinet members in Howard's government leaving the house.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 2 January 2008 2:17:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
you are going to be 'let down', belly. everyone who hopes that politicians will run the country for the public good will always be let down. and serves you right.

the aporism goes: "cheat me once, shame on you. cheat me twice, shame on me." ozzies are cheated endlessly, and lick it up, poor sheep.

2008 will be the year that the last hold-out nations, oz and usa, admit that something must be done about global warming, and then fail to do it. the 'bellys' will feel let down. their grandkids, if they survive, will spit on their graves for letting politicians sell the future for votes.
Posted by DEMOS, Thursday, 3 January 2008 7:04:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

I believe in star gazing. I believe in reaching for the stars, and I believe in sharing:

"One small sunbeam
That keeps to itself
Will never give much light;
But if it shares,
And shines through a prism,
It makes many rainbows bright."

My hopes for 2008 is that people no longer take their world for granted, but instead begin to understand the social authorship of their lives and futures, that they can become an irresistible force in history. Whether we choose to destroy our civilization or save it is a collective decision - and it is one that hopefully will be made within our lifetimes.

If more and more nuclear weapons are built, and if more sophisticated means of delivering them are devised, and if more and more nations get control of these vile devices, then we surely risk our own destruction.

If ways are found to reverse that process, then we can divert unprecedented energy and resources to the real problems that face us, including poverty, disease, overpopulation, injustice, oppression, and the devastation of our natural environment.

I can only hope and trust that our ultimate choice will be to enhance the life on the bright and lovely planet on which billions of us share our adventure.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 3 January 2008 10:48:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gday Foxy and DEMOS if my post was wishes I would ask that the west and NATO stop the murders in more than one African country.
That we spend more on peace than we do on war, that health would be for every one world wide not just share holders in a wealth creating machine.
Unfortunately we humans have lost the concerns we once had for each other.
DEMOS I share some of your views but remember the golden years of JFK and America?
Do you remember Hawk having 74% support after he won an election?
None of us can expect every thing we want, my list was as I see it , except the AWB scandal.
Australia's wheat growers ,may suffer more if the truth ever comes out, America is always willing to be a predator in world trade.
Especially farmer trade , our government may well use the very fact I believe another did.
Putting our trade in wheat before honesty.
I await predictions but slip into dreams again, would it not be great if our country lead the world in new fuels to replace petroleum?
Dream on Belly.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 3 January 2008 1:31:32 PM
Hi all,

2008 - some of the biggies for me will be the US election, the Olympic Games, and the arrival of the Iphone in Oz.

And let's hope the situation in Iraq improves to the point we can get our soldiers out ... although I'm not overly confident of that happening.

And let's hope it's a better year for quality movies!

There's a good diary here of upcoming 2008 events:
http://www.news.com.au/feature/ranked/0,,5014908,00.html

Cheers -
Posted by Globetrotting Aussie, Friday, 4 January 2008 9:56:33 AM
I would have thought the subject would get a few more posts.
We are all going to be living in interesting times.
The banks moving interest rates may just be the tip of the ice berg.
We in the west are overdue for a reality check, most of Americas debt is in the hands of people who are not friends in my view.
This or any year soon could turn world finances upside down.
American elections? well I hope it is not Hillary that runs for the Democrats.
Such a great big country and in truth not much real talent on display on either side.
I hope America is about to have its first black president.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 4 January 2008 12:02:24 PM
It's all too depressing Belly...the situation in Pakistan is on a knife edge, so is Kenya - Africa could explode or implode but something will happen. Iran? I am glad I do not live there. Lebanon - the Syrians are still in control. Israel and Palestine are in as bad as ever shape.
Australia? Well three days into the New Year and the railway workers went out on strike so a bunch of people with disabilities who cannot use buses got to go - nowhere.
Maybe it is just the heat getting me down but I do not feel optimistic about 2008 - especially as we should boycott the Olympics but won't.
Posted by Communicat, Friday, 4 January 2008 2:32:06 PM
Dear Communicat,

You're right it is so very depressing - I think I may stop reading
newspapers and watching the news on television.

Another depressing subject is the cruelty of the meat export industry.
I'm just beginning to find out more on the subject from PALE
(People against Live Export and Intensive Farming). I had no idea the horror that goes on and the standards that are ignored by that industry.

I only hope that our new government - especially the PM will listen to the people at PALE and have the matter looked into, especially in providing more frequent inspections.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 4 January 2008 4:52:16 PM
In 2008 onwards, we MUST be more assertive in our foreign relations, and do within the best of our ability to show the world now with a new government we mean vision, innovation and a new era of increasingly relevant Australian standing in world politics. To my last dying breath I will be dedicated to first supporting improving of how Australia sees itself, and how we present ourselves to the world.

Alliances are fine when they are used for expanding your own interests, but not when its the result of a permement lack of trust in the abilities of your nation.

What Australia needs most of all is someone who can make people engaged in politics, lead Australia to greatness. Australia was never meant to stay small forever. We are quick to admire the greatness of others, so we do understand what it means but will never strive for it ourselves.

Why must all our politicians be dimwitted, self-serving and unpatriotic, thats the only logical reason I can see for people not being more enthauiastic about Australia's growth.
Posted by aussie_eagle2512, Friday, 4 January 2008 7:49:32 PM
What a great year that poster is in for! on 24/11/2007 your wishes got granted!
Communicat you highlight my wishes further up the thread.
Just why is the west in Iraq? wasn't it to bring Democracy and freedom?
What about Africa?
Why do we let it happen?
Let us never forget peace is not won by lack of action, do most of us truly think the world will sort its self out?
Any year now we will see another world trade center.
Any year now we may find war is not avoidable sad but true.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 5 January 2008 5:44:05 AM
The current polling in America has filled me with hope for 2008.
It looks like Hillary Clinton will fail, that should see true new leadership for America.
And in truth the western world.
I understand some think anyone who says anything against Bush hates him or is anti America ,that is childish, but I cringe every time he appears on TV surely the world does too?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 9 January 2008 5:07:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy