The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why do people ignore global warming? Is the death of our planet too boring to discuss?

Why do people ignore global warming? Is the death of our planet too boring to discuss?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I cant for the life of me think why global warming is a non issue on a forum such as this..

Doesnt anyone believe it ,or do we simply not care about how we, each of us, contributes to the destruction of the planet we will ultimately leave our children.?

Our planet is under great enviromental stress and we do nothing?
At what cost?and to whom?
Posted by taurus29, Monday, 9 October 2006 6:39:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Looking back through the millennia, our little Earth appears to have always been changing it's weather. Like a lady who cannot figure which frock to put on, Earth has gone though ice ages and non ice ages---mostly without any help or input from us.Forests have advanced and retreated as have ice caps.
One set of scientists will tell us the Earth is heating, the next set will tell us the exact opposite.
Our Earth would be far better off if our population was controlled. SBS once had a cartoon thing where Earth was a turtle and took monkeys on it's back . Monkeys whose behaviour mirrored that of humans and when the turtle had tolerated enough,it swam down, down and the monkeys went kaput.
Maybe that is what will happen to us. When will Earth get tired of eternal war, bombs, nuclear tests, forest clearings and fires. Who knows?
Posted by mickijo, Tuesday, 10 October 2006 2:03:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Taurus, I don't think you will find global warming a non issue on this forum. I think your post is likely to generate a lot of response. But I was wondering whether you were really referring to what you perceive as a general public apathy to global warming issues?
If the latter, I suspect that most people feel pretty powerless anyway and so why get steamed up about something you can't do much about?
I went to see Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" and had a great coffee hour with 6 friends who went to see it. And what is more I bought a packet of long life, low-wattage-consumption light bulbs as a gesture of action. But do most of us feel pretty impotent?
Posted by Fencepost, Tuesday, 10 October 2006 6:11:22 PM
Global warming primarily forms political capital for the left of centre politics.

Many scientists do not agree with the Al Gores of the world but do not get a run in the media, but wait is this politics of fear? Who copied the strategy from whom?

Why is the ice melting on Mars, no green house gases from human activity up there?

Why does increased mean temperatures happen before increased CO2 levels? Because the acitivity of the sun is causing climate change.
Posted by Cowboy Joe, Wednesday, 11 October 2006 6:00:00 PM
Agreed too many are ostrishes in this country about global warning but as the current drought worsens we cant do it any longer. Solutions must be sought quickly and i believe some obvious ones are there. example [1] survey what the weather was like in the three subsequent years after Lake Eyre flooded and if it is as i suspect good rains flood Lake Eyre as it is 80 feet below sea level. Example [2]build a pipe from the tropical rainshed area where rain is in metres not inches to the river that runs to Lake Eyre and use that water to irrigate the centre of Australia and I am sure that the greening of the centre will increase rainfall
Posted by JUDGE15, Saturday, 14 October 2006 7:34:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy