The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Female Decade

The Female Decade

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Dear Corri,

This is getting away from your thread a bit. However, as far as my religion is concerned I feel that Catholicism as a monolithic structure is disappearing. Once a person who differed with the church quietly stole away. Now they refuse to abandon their communion with God. From a timid rebellion has grown a courageous confrontation.
This is not merely the roar of a few. It is the fruit of a studious examination of the foundations of faith. Faith has passed from the passive and complete acceptance of a body of truths to the honest search for total commitment.

As I wrote in an earlier post, the world has become meaning-centered, and the individual measures the traditional truths in terms of personal value. The individual refuses to accept irrelevant sermons, a sterile liturgy, a passe and speculative theology which explores publicly dry and distant formulas, a law which does not explain its own origins. The individual demands a priest who reaches him in honest dialogue. The individual will not be bullied by an authoritarian demand for the observance of parish boundaries, nor by moralizing which ignores the true and complex context of modern life.

Today we have a more open view of mixed marriages, a more understanding discussion of the birth-control problem and the dilemma of Catholic education. The individual has recognised the human face of the Church which has been forced to change its expression or die.
This has given the individual the courage to hope and push for greater changes still.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 6 December 2007 10:59:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
At the outset I agree we've moved off the initial thread (and might raise this separately if it continues interest). That said ...

Foxy, I tend to agree with much of what you've written ... though does it work? Are we on a road to destruction? Is this religious sentiment paralleled by the consumerist society - are we asking for a religion that suits the individual when we live in a collective society. Are we bending the rules that made society to counter to minority feelings, thus eroding the fabric that has made society work for millenia.

Sure a wider acceptance of mixed relationships, birth control, race, religious belief, etc etc seems on the surface to be what our society upholds ... but is that reality? Even in this site I've seen absolute rascism and prejudice. So while on the surface we appear to be more accepting, are our ideals delivered through our actions? Is this utopia actually obtainable?

Anyway, I've ranted long enough! Thanks Foxy, with all that said I hope that we're moving towards a more tolerant society where dictatorial religion forcing a certain set of beliefs isn't the only way to achieve a perceived functioning society - I'm just not convinced we're even close.
Posted by Corri, Thursday, 6 December 2007 11:09:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Boaz, you charmer, you!

Beguiling the ladies with your winning ways and worldly wisdom, eh?

>>The Bible says: "Treat the younger women as sisters, in all purity"<<

But that's not all it says on the topic, is it?

Here's Timothy:

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve." 1 Timothy 2

Hmmm. Not quite so PC, that one.

And here's your mate Paul, telling it how it is.

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Corinthians 14

I know, I know. They don't really mean it. It has been badly translated. The meaning has been warped by centuries of anti-religious fanatics who just want to show the bad bits in the Bible, not the good bits... oh no, that's Boaz and the Qur'an, isn't it.

Sorry to butt into an otherwise civilized discourse, ladies, but he can't resist any opportunity to proselytize, and I can't resist putting him back into his box.

And for what it's worth, your body-image is purely a chick-thing. You won't find a bloke having the same issues, even though in nine cases out of ten they let themselves go further and faster than the female. If they do get concerned about your body rather than the whole being, than they simply don't deserve your attention.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 6 December 2007 2:36:36 PM
Here here Pericles! I'm certainly 1 of the 9.
Posted by Corri, Thursday, 6 December 2007 2:38:47 PM
Here here from me too Pericles. Re your timely quoting of that ridiculous book at it's dreary pronouncements.

Re the "purely a chick thing", though, I actually think it's a bit of both. Chicks put way too much pressure on each other, and themselves, and those dreadful magazines are always lady-driven. But if I had a dollar every time I'd hung around with a group of men who felt free to critique the bodies of every passing women, I'd have... well, you know, heaps of money. Nice mature men don't do it, sure, but lots of boys do, and girls are left to either take it on the chin or complain and be found "uncool", or, worse, to hear a "miaow" sound and see a man making a cat scratching motion. Our popular culture is full of men making judgments about women's bodies - watch The Footy Show sometime.

Of course women need to take responsibility for their part in the beauty myth, but men do too.
Posted by botheration, Thursday, 6 December 2007 2:54:12 PM
Most men don't mature, they simply grow taller.

Or put another way - Boys will be boys and so will a lot of middle-aged men...
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 6 December 2007 7:33:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy