The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > One in five Australians failed to vote....

One in five Australians failed to vote....

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
The figure could just not be in yet, flat out counting and re counting time has surely not been given to such a count.
And informal votes are counted as not voting? no way.
However it is cute, the idea and thread I mean, all day Sunday conservatives put the in boot in my in my red neck shopping village.
Compulsory voting they told me was the problem, one shouted while ever we had it we would never get good government!
Did he think Howard was good government? near stoped him breathing.
Votes including massive numbers who have never voted other than conservative have spoken.
It was not long term ALP voters who removed John Howard, it was his abandoned new conservatives his Aussie Battlers who removed him ,even from his seat!
Cop it sweet Communicat I have extreme joy overload you add to it with this thread.
Ease your pain on this , I have a brother who votes Liberal only , his understanding stops at that he is so hurt his hero Howard got beat by that woman!
Posted by Belly, Monday, 26 November 2007 2:47:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The information that I've been given from elderly relatives (over 80s)
is that they don't have to vote - once they reach that age. A great many of them - choose not to vote - because they feel they don't known enough about the politics of the day, least of all the candidates in their area. So they prefer - to not vote. (Rather than make a bad judgement). Perhaps it's just as well...
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 26 November 2007 3:12:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's disappointing IF 1 in 5 didn't vote,although until all the postals are counted we haven't got a full run down.With donkey votes do they go to the sitting member,this is the only way we can can work out how we ended up with a donkey getting elected in our local seat?
Posted by Dr Who, Monday, 26 November 2007 3:27:55 PM
The figures came from someone at the Electoral Commission. I just rang Andrew and asked him where he got it from. His exact response:

"It is based on the difference between the number of people enrolled to vote in an electorate and the number of ballot papers placed in the boxes. That number has to match the number of people marked off the actual roll as well."

(They count the papers as they are put in the boxes so it has nothing at all to do with the counting of the actual votes.)

Hope that answers the question because I am off for the day!
Posted by Communicat, Monday, 26 November 2007 3:59:19 PM
So this one in five figure includes those who didn't vote for a perfectly good reason - eg because they are dead?
Posted by freediver, Monday, 26 November 2007 4:08:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Compulsory voting gets a big thumbs up from me, and I was immensely pleased to see the piffling number of votes recieved by those advocates of mass immigration, the cec and ldp. I took the time to number my senate vote so I could put these clowns last.
Posted by Fester, Monday, 26 November 2007 6:09:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy