The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Freedom of religion in Australia

Freedom of religion in Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Robert I've read all but still I need you guys to read carefully and explain. They don't fear, they are saying that they believe in all of the Quran and they won't accept if the government makes few verses of the Quran prohibited as an exception based on anti terrorism law.
They have mentioned the number those chapters and verses and they are waiting for the answer of John Howard to know whether or not reading those verses of the Quran are legal.
hi BOAZ can you check those verses mentioned and let us know what subjects they are about? Hey BOAZ don't be offended and surprised why I am asking you to do it lol I know you are not religious :) but you are good in this to find out about the verses. If you can't don't worry about it
Posted by Angela84, Friday, 23 November 2007 11:00:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Angela84

Australia's biggest threat from freedom of religion is from the fundamentalist humanist who insist their wonky philosophies are based on science. Somehow they loathe the freedoms established in our nation through biblical principles and champion earth worshiping policies that include murdering the unborn. They often champion pagan religion that leads to all sorts of dysfunction in a society and label anyone who oppose them as bigots. They seem to be over represented by the homosexual lobby which is not surprising considering their philosophies which really come from paganism
Posted by runner, Friday, 23 November 2007 2:00:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Unfortunately, as Boazy so often demonstrates, what we don't have is freedom *from* religion."

So CJ, you want the government to protect you from ideas and beliefs you don't like, and you would call this protection freedom?
Posted by freediver, Friday, 23 November 2007 2:21:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, freediver, my comment wasn't meant to be a very serious one. However, if you want to interpret it that way, I think that are still far too many areas of law and regulation where mostly Christian beliefs are imposed on the rest of us.

I'm thinking of stuff like stem cell research, abortion, censorship, discrimination against gays, prohibition of recreational drugs, prostitution etc etc.

Of course I support the right of people to hold whatever beliefs they like, so long as they don't impinge upon the rights of those who don't share those beliefs.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 23 November 2007 2:45:42 PM
All Australians are free to follow any religion they choose, so long as its practices do not break any Australian law. Australians are also free not to follow a religion.

If any religious group fears for their religious practices - the causes of their fear needs to be examined. If they are being targeted by some racist group - such as the recent attacks on temples and mosques. Their fear is justified. These are unlawful acts and the authorities should be called in to deal with them.

If however their fear comes from what they are or aren't allowed to teach - that depends on the teaching. Although we have freedom of religion in this country - it does not entail - preaching hatred or inciting violence. That understandably is not lawful. Same as freedom of speech does not entitle you to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 November 2007 2:54:35 PM
"I think that are still far too many areas of law and regulation where mostly Christian beliefs are imposed on the rest of us.

You mean like "thou shalt not kill" and all that bothersome high horse stuff?

"I'm thinking of stuff like stem cell research, abortion, censorship, discrimination against gays, prohibition of recreational drugs, prostitution etc etc.

You don't have to be a Christian to oppose abortion etc. It is a moral issue regardless of your religious beliefs. I know plenty of non-christians who are also strongly conservative and against individual freedoms like the ones you listed.

Just because a law is purportedly based on religious doctrine does not necessarily mean the law is unjust.
Posted by freediver, Friday, 23 November 2007 5:35:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy