The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I Shook Hands With A Digger - and I`m So Proud Say we are Australian

I Shook Hands With A Digger - and I`m So Proud Say we are Australian

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
How Many of us get a lump in our throats when we hear the Song-

And a digger fights for freedom in a job that must be done-
and, I listended as he told me of a war that could be won -
I admire the burning wisom of the Aussie Brigadier
and if you feel no pride at all there is something you must hear-

"Australian Flag by an anonymous Australian"

Our flag bears, the stars that blaze at night
in our southern sky of blue
and that little old flag in the corner
thats~ spart of our heriitage too,
its for the English, the Scots and the Irish
who were sent to the end of the EARTH
for the rougues and schemers and dreamers
who gave Australia it`s birth

And you who are shouting to change it
you dont seem to understand
its the flag of our laws and language
not the flag of a far away land
there are plenty ofpeople who~ll tell you
how when Europe was plunged into night
that littleoldflag in the corner
was their symbol of freedom and light

It dont mean we owe our allegiance
to a forgotten imperial dream
we~ve the stars to show were we are going
and that old flag to show where we~ve been
its only a piece of bunting
its only a couloured rag
but there are thousands who died forits honour
and fell in defence of our flag
[ Thread dedicated to Stan Lewthwaite and all our Aussie hero~s~ fallen or still fighting for freedom. You havent given up on us yet. I hope we dont give up on you.
Thanks guys we solute you.
Lest We forget
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Monday, 10 September 2007 7:32:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AMEN. good poem.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 10 September 2007 7:50:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jingoistic CRAP
Posted by alanpoi, Monday, 10 September 2007 1:21:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not 'Jingoistic CRAP', merely pride in our nation and its history.

May the flame never die.

Isn't it great how patriotic views bring out negative retorts on OLO such as racism, jingoism, crap and claptrap. It sure beats a reasonable debate on the subject.....not!

The lefties are losing it.
Posted by JSP1488, Monday, 10 September 2007 2:09:25 PM
What is this - bad poetry day on OLO?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 10 September 2007 3:53:24 PM
Hi People it's nice
are u a poet?
Posted by Aunti Anti Terrorism, Monday, 10 September 2007 4:06:58 PM
I'm a poet
and I don't even know it
Posted by JSP1488, Monday, 10 September 2007 5:53:32 PM
JPS1488, Aunti, Boaz

Anonynous Aurthor
The Mysterey Of who wrote that poem many years ago is almost as nice as the poem itself.
Nobody knows
Clearly an old digger.
Its on the side of a horse truck of the 41st Light horse- man.

Keep a copy you wont see it around.

JPS1488
What type of poems do u write?
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Monday, 10 September 2007 9:31:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nothing wrong with expressions of pride in our nation's history and achievements.

Nice poem.
Posted by Dresdener, Monday, 10 September 2007 9:33:11 PM
PALE IF

that was one

I'm a poet
And I don't even know it

Also, I wrote one about Ginx. Once she raves on I'll have more material for more poems.
Posted by JSP1488, Monday, 10 September 2007 9:50:40 PM
I have a lifelong interest in music and poetry, and I have heard and read hundreds of songs and poems about Australia,and they fall into roughly 4 catergories, beautiful, excellant, good and utter crap, this falls with a heavy thud into the latter I am afraid, it has no artistic merit whatsoever
Posted by alanpoi, Monday, 10 September 2007 11:21:29 PM
JSP1488
thats funny!.
I can give you some good material for one on a turkey and ham.
Could be fun. Maybe you could open a poetry thread without using their real names.[ funny as]
Clues at the bottom of the pale car park.
I can` stop laughing they crack me up
cheers
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Tuesday, 11 September 2007 8:43:40 AM
Another post that presents People Against Live Exports and Intensive Farming as a professional and effective lobby group for animal welfare (not!).

I don't think we need another thread for awful poetry - we've got this one already.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 11 September 2007 10:45:19 AM
PALE IF

that was one

I'm a poet
And I don't even know it

Also, I wrote one about Ginx. Once she raves on I'll have more material for more poems.
Posted by JSP1488, Monday, 10 September 2007 9:50:40 PM

Hello sweetie; you mentioned my name......?
Posted by Ginx, Tuesday, 11 September 2007 10:54:57 AM
on the wars and blood spilt on this nations soil - best we forget.
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 23 September 2007 8:46:47 PM
I have the privilege of nursing older Australians. I left a job once but not before saying something aloud in the dining room of this particular nursing home. I said about 'what do I know. How we young people should be sitting at the feet of you. Your wisdom. What you have been through'. I was breaking down. I wasn't allowed by one man to give him insulin; he'd met Rommel and seen the dessert/war. For him, to receive an injection might as well have been 'give me the bullet'. It was scary, the look in his eyes. The fear but I will always listen. I will always respect the wishes. I know of someone who has been on the Kokada trail, been POW's, lead men in war and then went on to build Gold Coast's 'Dream World'.
ANZAC day brings a whole new respect out of me; I will buy a pin every year and I will talk to diggers. I am always kind and never condescending or belittling in my job or with my words as an Aged Care Nurse. Is a privilege indeed to befriend these older Australians. What does anyone born post Vietnam know about war anyway, but what we see on TV, what we might hear or read and sometimes from those who experienced it first hand. The reality is just too unimaginable to even begin to imagine it. I will always Respect older Australians with a capital "R".
Posted by Cakers, Sunday, 23 September 2007 9:06:50 PM
Cakers
There memory is carried on by unselfish people such as yourself. People who walk that track still in their minds.
People who make time to stop and think speak out.
Thank You for speaking out and your comments on this post.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Monday, 24 September 2007 8:59:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy