The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Go Woke go broke. Poor returns on ethical investments.

Go Woke go broke. Poor returns on ethical investments.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Shadow,
> The stupidity is the investors driving this system.
Are you sure? It looks to me like the stupidity is the assumption that investors are after short term stability rather than long term gains.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 25 January 2023 1:28:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australian Ethical balanced fund hit a high of $1.70 on the 11th of January 2019.

At the 11th of January this year it was sitting at $4.31. it now sits at $4.60 per share.

Sure there have been some ups and downs over the 4 years some times nearly reaching $15, but taken long term the shares still represents a return of over 2 and a half times the original investment in 2019.

So let's look at a prominent energy stock, Woodside Energy. Share price at the 11th of January 2019 was $32.69. At the 11th of January this year they sit at $35.52, a return over the 4 years of under 9%.

I know which one I would have preferred to have invested in.

What an inane thread.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 25 January 2023 2:31:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR,

Sure if you cherry-pick you can find particular funds that perform better than others. Generally, you don't do as well.
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 26 January 2023 4:34:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is an ethical investment? Coal is helping to keep the lights on and the economy functioning: Does that make coal ethical? Is it ethical to promote wind and solar as a dispatchable energy alternative?
Posted by Fester, Thursday, 26 January 2023 7:37:50 AM
shadowminister,

What on earth are you talking about?

I looked at the main fund which was highlighted in your post. I didn't go cheery picking anything.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 26 January 2023 9:01:28 AM
SR

https://www.australianethical.com.au/globalassets/pdf-files/managed-funds/monthly--quarterly-fund-reports/2022/12_december/wholesale/balanced-fund-wholesale-december-2022.pdf

The fund that you are describing achieved an average return since its establishment of about 6%. Not exactly a stellar performance.
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 26 January 2023 12:59:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy