The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why palm oil does not deserve its bad press > Comments

Why palm oil does not deserve its bad press : Comments

By Tim Wilson, published 27/1/2010

Oil palm is substantially more sustainable compared with other oils: it needs less land and less resources to produce more.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I find it disturbing that poor peasant farmers in developing countries are being forced out and their lands destroyed all so we can eat cheap fatty junk food. How much of this palm oil is used by the locals? It might be cheap but I bet the locals still cant afford to buy it. Another example of the rape and plunder of developing countries by and for the benefit of us decadent westerners. Although Im not sure it is that much of a benefit. After all most palm oil is used to make highly processed, high fat, trans fat laden junk food. The very food killing us with obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 28 January 2010 7:55:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, it is used to make biofuel and one of the by-products of that is pharmaceutical grade glycerine. Unfortunately for the well intentioned investers, the glycerine was supposed to be the icing on the cake as far as the income was concerned, but all they managed to do was produce a glut in the market for glycerine and the share price went through the floor.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 28 January 2010 5:51:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No matter which way you look at this one, more and more rainforests
are being chopped down, to make way for oil palm plantations.

So the last of the wild Orang Utans are losing their habitat,
for the production of bio diesel.

So the question arises, why don't species like Orang Utans deserve
to live on a patch of this earth too? Why only ever more humans?
I mean, their population is down to a few thousand, ours is nearly
7 billion. Its a philosophical question, but to me its an important
one. Its not just Orang Utans either. Much the same is happening
to the last of the wild chimps, bonobos and gorillas in Africa.
All pretty sad really, in my opinion anyhow.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 30 January 2010 9:09:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy