The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The limits of law > Comments

The limits of law : Comments

By Katy Barnett, published 22/1/2010

A good law has to set up a system of incentives to make people keep it along with disincentives to stop them breaking it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Thanks for explaining your use of CJ, CJ! I accept that. I can see why you would rather be called CJ, than erm, Christopher!! ( :>)

I don’t think I exaggerated your position on asylum seekers at all. But I do feel as though (mildly) misrepresented me by labelling my views as << hardline >>.

My position of wanting to double our intake of refugees, increase our international aid to at least 0.7% of GDP and direct it at causal factors of refugeeism, and to uphold strong border protection and thus bring an end to onshore asylum seeking and all the misery and complications associated with it, is hardly hardline!

But I know we’ll never agree on this issue.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 27 January 2010 1:53:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The more laws the less justice." Cicero
"It would be better to have no laws at all, than to have too many." Michel Eyquem de Montaigne
"The good of the people is the greatest law." Cicero
"Every law is an infraction of liberty." Jeremy Bentham
"Never forget that everything Hitler did was legal." Martin Luther King Jr.
Manmade laws are in practice regulations, in that we are all regulated to the weakest, or most unscrupulous, ie if the law states every driver should rest every 2 hours, what is really being said is: every driver capable of attaining a license should be capable of driving safely for at least 2 hours without a break; therefore every driver should have a break every 2 hours.
Likewise if the law states: Speed limit 110, what is actually being said is: all drivers (no matter how inept) capable of attaining a license should be capable of safely controlling a vehicle at a maximum speed of 110 kph, in so designated areas.
Such is our 'equality' before the Law. In effect, we are guilty until proven innocent.
We pay people to make our laws, with scant regard for their background. Some would say that lawyers should be excluded from houses of Legislature, on the grounds of clear conflict of interest (between legislators and legislated).
In a truly free society, nothing could be more important than the ability of a jury, randomly chosen, compensated but not rewarded, to test not only guilt or innocence but the validity of the law alleged to have been broken.
Too many regulations, recently and currently being imposed, reflect nothing more than the prejudices and cultural bias of the legislators, as exampled by 'the missus' and 'Rehctub'.
Posted by Grim, Saturday, 30 January 2010 12:39:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy