The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Arguing against the irrational > Comments

Arguing against the irrational : Comments

By Mike Pope, published 21/1/2010

The vast majority of people, including every national government in the world, accepts the scientific explanation for global warming.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
There seems to be a lot of credence given to JR Dunn in posts above.

From what I have seen he's just the US equivalent of Andrew Bolt - a non-scientist and one-time rabid Bush supporter who also claims that DDT had ELIMINATED (not reduced) Malaria in the entire Northern hemisphere.

Pretty significant claim? I bet India is relieved to hear that one.

So what's real the motive behind Climate Change? Is it just a simple scientific error or is there more to it?

Whatever the answer, I think you'll see it's not just the climate-changer devotees who are seeing conspiracies by Big Oil, it's actually the skeptics who are seeing them everywhere!
Posted by rache, Monday, 25 January 2010 1:50:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner,

Yep! "the smart people agree", and not with you.

Oh the humanity! ...Get used to it.

Do you see where the essential contrast lies?

You see, unlike Pascal's wager, this one has teeth.

I don't care about your imaginary god, one among hundreds if not thousands.

I *do* care about Fourier, who showed that increased Carbon Dioxide increased the trapping of radiant energy from sunlight.

*given* that there is more CO2, more methane, more NOx in the air than othewise, and, *given* that there is therefore more energy in the system than otherwise, it is *NOT AT ALL* clear that "she'll be right mate".

Yes, complex system, blah blah blah. Your no-modelling-whatsoever is not useful.

What's the worst?

Global warming real and no action - hmmmmm - bad. Really bad. Businesses bitch about retraining, let alone relocation, storm damage, disruption of shipping, etc. real problems need tax help. *your* tax. Spend early to avoid excessive costs later.

Global warming real and action - not as bad, merely expensive. Whew!

Global warming not real and action - expensive, like the iraq war, ordinary drought, ordinary floods, ordinary economic downturns. Therefore tolerable, plus advantage of increased energy independence, globally and locally. Not really tragic, except for vested interests, who can buy in anyway and make a nice profit thereby.

Global warming not real and no action. Business as usual. Not even the minor military advantage of decentralising energy source or site of generation. Big whoop. May as well have spent the money building duplicate schools (already got state schools) for church-aholics whose shallow doctrine can't withstand exposure to the profane for a few hours. Yup. that's worthwhile. I'd rather just spend the money on State schools. Fundies can indoctrinate their kiddies at home.

Your personal belief that this is "gods" domain is not meaningful. If you don't brush your teeth, "god" does not prevent your dental issues. *knowing* the behaviour of gas mixtures irradiated by sunlight means that it is now our problem. Catch up.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 2:03:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is flawed. the whole world & governments agree on Global warming? It's a very flawed assumption. If you repeat something a lot you think people will start to believe it.

BULLS#!T. NO THEY DON'T.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 12:54:00 PM
It's a demonstrated fact that it's a schoolkids essay. Oh dear

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/31/2805918.htm
Posted by Cheryl, Sunday, 31 January 2010 2:30:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy