The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Battlelines drawn: the individuation of Tony Abbott > Comments

Battlelines drawn: the individuation of Tony Abbott : Comments

By Martin Stewart-Weeks, published 15/1/2010

Tony Abbott: political leaders become interesting when they show us who they really are.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Oh Peter, I have tried to stay away from you as I didn't want to get into a theological debate. Just to clear up a few items:
I do believe in God.
I do not go to Church.
If heaven is as it is described in the Church, I do not want to be there.
I believe firmly, that the Bible is no more the word of God then the Webster's Dictionary is.
I believe the Bible is no more than the Churches way of controlling their subjects.
I do believe that the basic principles that the Bible holds are good and true, though there is enough open ended statements and contradictory ideas that just about any conclussion can be determined to suit the interpreter. This was deliberate so that the Church (remember that until recently, not many could read), could virtually be a law unto themselves.
If today's Church followed Matthew 7:16-20 "You shall know them [Christians] by their fruits." then I would have no problem with the Church, my problem is that their "Fruits" are basically rotten.
Maybe if they followed Paul's advice to the Church of Corinth "Expel the wicked man among you." then the Church would be better off, although it would be many many times smaller.

My underlying belief in the way out of all our worlds problems comes from a Christian source that I think would be a very good read for all Christians: http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/essays/comp/cw01christianity.htm The author closes with this statement;
"There is nothing Christians can do to change the past, thus, we must attempt to change the future by acting not for our own gain, but with love and kindness, for the glory of God"

I would only change "Christians" to "humanity" and "for the glory of God" to "or suffer the consequences."
Posted by Wybong, Saturday, 16 January 2010 9:44:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy