The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fushun: small town China > Comments

Fushun: small town China : Comments

By Brian Hennessy, published 14/1/2010

Towns such as Fushun can be found in their thousands across the length and breadth of China. But dig a little deeper ...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
A charming picture and insightful social commentary Brian.

There are several Chinas all on a massive social scale - that we should never take for granted.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 14 January 2010 1:13:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes,quite quaint - but has this vaunted culture ever stopped them from breeding themselves into a hole and destroying their environment?

I think not- greed and avarice reign supreme.
Posted by Manorina, Friday, 15 January 2010 7:36:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Manorina,

Yes, everyone abhors the the negative side of China. But it is easy to abhor, pass comment, then move on to some other daily interest or activity - conscience satisfied.

But your comments will not add any rice to the bowls of the 800 million poor people in this country, or decrease pollution, or improve basic human rights.

Self-righteous criticism never solved anything. In fact, it is counter-productive.

We Australians should be making a better effort to understand this huge country with 20% of the world's population. China is a big country with big problems to solve. We need to see the world through China's eyes sometimes.

Long term engagement is the way to go.

Brian.
Posted by Brian Hennessy, Sunday, 17 January 2010 12:26:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brian, I enjoy reading your perceptive and empathic articles on China and especially its people. I have had the opportunity to visit China a number of times, although I have only experienced the big city cultures along the axis from Shanghai to Beijing. I have had only minor exposure to any of the 'other Chinas'.

Those tough wiry migrant workers you speak about who have been doing the back breaking work of rebuilding and modernising China and providing the infrastructure for the society the growing Chinese middle class in the cities enjoy, have also been responsible for much of the cheap white goods and electronic gear, clothes etc that have underpinned lower inflation and higher living standards in Western societies for the past 15 years or so.

A news report on the Chinese English language CCTV9 tonight promised a new 5 year Plan to raise the living standards of migrant workers and farmers to share in the prosperity their labours have given their Chinese city compatriots and all the rest of us. I hope it is delivered.
Posted by Bagsy, Wednesday, 20 January 2010 1:10:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy