The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fine tuning the ABC > Comments

Fine tuning the ABC : Comments

By Ben-Peter Terpstra, published 24/12/2009

Junk science, both conscious and unconscious, makes our ABC a special place. But nothing beats junk geography. Or a crap graphic.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
Sorry, daggett, but I do detest push polling with questions that beg another one. I routinely decline marketers' surveys because my time is as valuable as theirs, yet I am not being paid. So don't ask me all these questions because I am busy bottling fruit and don't have time to do the research.
I'm not saying you are being paid to ask me all those questions (since you do tend to misinterpret simple sentences) but I am just one person who is not even in your potential constituency and my opinion can have no bearing on yours (you will see to that, I'm sure.)
Perhaps an internship with an established politician would focus your energies. You will find that most of them are beseiged by people in their area, voters or not, who want them to fix something that could better be directed to the local council welfare worker. They would regard your world-betterment platform as rather too far from their immediate needs in the back yard of your electorate.
Just a final point - you took exception to my defence of wannabe politicians who might not be able to afford tv air time to advertise themselves. Somehow you made that seem an attack on your right to stand for election. Not everyone is against you, daggett. Some things take time.
Posted by Polly Flinders, Saturday, 9 January 2010 4:14:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i found the author's view and article interesting and a valid observation of an organisation in rapid decline (isn't this the topic?)

However, i wish to add to that that increasingly i find i am being "dumbed down" by the ABC News, 7:30 report and Lateline - and don't get me started on The Insiders.

It used to be the case that ABC stood for TOTAL accuracy, balanced reporting, and definitely no sensationalism - we can all get that on the commercials which i think is why we watch and want to watch ABC News and similar prgrams. We are entitled to expect the best and their journalists lof the past expounded that aim admirably - think Andrew Olle, Paul Lynham, Richard Morecroft et al etc.

i find myself getting so frustrated with pap pieces by reporters who wishe they were Jana Vent or Richard Carlton (and he was trained there) but the more often they open their mouths only confirms how silly and ignorant they and so dramatically displaying those traits.

And as it is the silly season too with too many trainees cutting their teeth with such an obvious lack on-air and technical prowess and virtually nil training on what they will look lik,e if they do such and such.

The newly installed Director of News has a lot to answer for as this trend has been evident long before KRudd came to power and, no matter how many of you say the board is and was stacked with Howard loyalists (i agree), that is no excuse for next to no training.

One report (last month) on the recent NSW rains even had the reporter holding his own fluffy mike boom and in shot and so all of his incompetance went to air unedited!

Oh, that it has come to this! we deserve far better for our 8 cents a day.
Posted by vajras, Sunday, 10 January 2010 5:05:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Polly Flinders,

This is an online discussion forum.

If you present views, particularly views which are contrary to the views of others, then you should be expected to be asked to defend them, or as you choose to put it, be subjected to "push polling".

Of course no-one is under any obligation to respond to my questions, but I think people are entitled to draw what conclusions they will about views which are not defended when challenged.
Posted by daggett, Thursday, 21 January 2010 4:05:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kenny wrote, "So the bias in the ABC comes down to not giving enough air time to 911 nut jobs."

In fact, "911 nut jobs", who peddle the paranoid theory of world wide conspiracy involving terrorist cells in almost every country in the world controlled from caves in Afghanistan with the ability and intention to commit more terrorist acts like 9/11, get plenty of air time on the ABC.

As just one example, claimed belief in this theory was used to justify the virtual imposition of martial law on the Sydney CBD during the APEC summit in September 2007, costing Australian taxpayers $160 million for security alone. (Yet, somehow, a team of comedians including one dressed as Osama bin Laden was able, against their own intentions and expectations, to breach this security and make it a laughing stock before world public opinion.)

It's only those who dispute this bizarre theory, who are denied "enough" (in fact, any) air time on the ABC.
Posted by daggett, Tuesday, 9 February 2010 11:41:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy