The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The limits of growth > Comments

The limits of growth : Comments

By Benjamin Habib, published 14/12/2009

People must stop looking to government as the great saviour and become accountable for reducing their own carbon footprint.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Surely all possible causes of global warming should be considered. Maybe emissions are not the problem.

Photographs and a file attachment re dumped sewage nutrient pollution feeding algae linked to methane and CO2 can be found at:
http://agmates.ning.com/forum/topics/cop-15-copenhagen-attention

I suggest download the Bering Strait jpeg and print on photo paper to see the green algae streaming into the Arctic Ocean where ice is melting.

Am I wrong at all?
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 14 December 2009 10:16:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Ludwig,

You made some very good points - I agree.

May I direct you to the works of E.F. Schumacher - particularly "Small Is Beautiful" ...."A Study Of Economics As If People Mattered". It was a classic of its time and, it seems, is still relevant today.
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 14 December 2009 10:23:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello there, I have been interested to follow the way our government has tightened its belt in the face of global warming. 114 delegates to the talkfest at Copenhagen $850 per night and $51 for a BOWL OF SOUP - well I paid a little less at a recent conference at a 5+ star resort in OZ.
It has inspired me to rethink my global footprint, as I have been trying to minimise it recently. In line with the government's thinking, I have decided to relax my personal restrictions a little.
Two definite about faces -
The Christmas Lights will go up - but not until Saturday - If they can pay $51 for soup, I think I should be able to hold my head up with the neighbours and turn the lights on.
In addition I have decided to watch the fireworks this New Years Eve. In the past, I have boycotted them as an absolute waste of time and money, and a blight on our atmosphere. However, on reflection, I think that if $51 is OK for soup then, the fireworks are OK with me. Beside, I really like fireworks - they are wonderful, especially without the smell.
Other strategies I am considering, but reluctant to implement include:
showering every day ( I used to but thought it was excessive, given the shortage of water), using a chain saw to cut the wood, Hubby has developed a bad back since I said he must use an axe.
Actually I think I can think of many ways to enlarge my carbon footprint, just give me time and the current government
Posted by bridgejenny, Monday, 14 December 2009 10:35:01 PM
bridgejenny - I agree we need to laugh at the eco fools who want everyone else to cut down on consumption, while they while away at conferences at great expense.

Personally I am trying to help out by eating as much meat as possible, and in as many different ways as possible.

I don't subscribe to the hair shirt or self flagellating behaviours, it all seems so, well "religious", you know, paying penances, buying indulgences, pilgrimages to holy events .. hmmmm.

Sure we could pollute a little less, and I have no problem with that, we can all do our bit - but I'm only going to dig in when eco fascists tell me what to do and how to do it - normally some 20 something year old spoiled brat know it all.

When I was 20, not many people could travel overseas, our parents couldn't afford to send us either - so we have how many precocious brats at the eco fest in Copenhagen? So is the world a better place now kiddies? This was all created by the very processes you now want stopped and reversed, really, it will all stop you know, then what will you do?

$51 for soup .. yep, that's sustainable living for you - I can do better than that easy, and not have to change anything at all about my lifestyle.

What a joke, like the Bali thing, it's become an industry without any requirement for more than words as a result.
Posted by odo, Tuesday, 15 December 2009 8:29:06 AM
Thanks Poirot.

Yes, Fritz Schumacher was on the ball. Such simple but profound messages – like telling us that the modern expansionist economy was unsustainable and that we should be considering the most appropriate scale of economic activity, instead of striving to make it ever bigger.

Oh, if only governments had listened to this fundamental advice back then in the early 70s and acted accordingly!
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 15 December 2009 8:38:08 AM
Some of the comments here hit the nail on the head- in Victoria over the last 10 years we have seen the population per capita consumption of water meet or exceed the mandated reduction targets- but the overall volume of water consumed continues to increase- due to population growth-

we are way out of balance with the natural cycles- the only way any life form can achieve this level of dicontinuty is finding a cheap abundant source of energy- fossil fuels in human's case-

If peak oil is correct and now peak coal- in 20 or 30 years due to exponential growth in consumption- when our net energy available to do work begins to decline our society will begin to decline-

But let's try a thought experiement- what is a post peak oil coal society going to look like? There will be moderate intra regional trade- for people will not change- they will still seek out pleasurable past times and define themselves through the accumulation or possession of goods or resoruces albiet on a very small scale compared to today- we will have whole regions lost to despair - modern cities will be close to vacate since most do not have the land mass to support the population densities of today- so hopefully there will be large numbers of mid sized towns trading with vastly different degrees of quality of life between them depending on the citizens mix and the skill base and understanding embedded within the goverenance structures- economies will be local and regional- will the internet be still up and functioning- more than likely- so this will be our link to the rest of the world- travel will be a serious adventure again where leaving one's home will be highly uncertain and dangerous- travel to other parts of the world might be only for the very few and rich- the middle class will be gone- it was a invention of the industrial age- but we'll have more time for family- community, we'll define ourselves less by material wealth and have healthier diets-

cheer
Posted by CanadianBear, Tuesday, 15 December 2009 2:58:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy