The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The cuckoos in the green movement - the anti-pops > Comments

The cuckoos in the green movement - the anti-pops : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 11/12/2009

In the context of global warming there lurks an insidious element waiting to foist their Malthusian principles on an unsuspecting public.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
Whilst I do not profess to be an expert, and whilst my experiences with poor Indonesian Muslim people is quite extensive, though perhaps not statistically significant, there are a number of valid points which I think that I can reasonabley make.

By way of qualitative interview (and yes I have worked in the market research industry) it appears that there is a unanimous awareness that conditions were better in the rural areas for earlier generations when there were less people.

As a very social people, who like to live and be surrounded by friends and family constantly, there is a strong desire to have a child or two, but thereafter, the predominate view is that "Love Making" is for pleasure and healthy stress relief.

However, in places where the income is less than $AU5 per day, the people are all too aware of the fact that there is not enough resources to go around.

However, the only contraception which is financially viable for them is the 3 to 6 month injectable variety which is known for making the girls fat and lethargic, which in some cases leads to marital infidelity and is thus undesirable for some.

Regrettably, drugs like Yasmin, known as the "Sexy Pill" here for its desirable side effects of complexion and weight control, is outside of the financial reach of the majority poorer people,whose focus is to put food on the table.

When pm Krudd came out recently indicating his desire for increased population, I do believe that most poles indicated that most Australians do not want this. Understandable really when many Australians travel to portions of the globe that have population problems and can plainly see the associated problems for themselves.

Thus, the scientific medical and Green view on this issue is clearly more indicative of the views of the majority of Australians.

And, I would add, the imbeciles in the catholic sphere, both the fake ones and otherwise, are to be condemned for their foolish ranting against contraception.
Posted by DreamOn, Friday, 18 December 2009 1:53:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's one of the first posts re population that has discussed Islam. While most of the post here have been almost totally devoid of an understanding of other religions or other cultural norms, Dream Ons is interesting.

I tend to think poor people are poor because they don't have resources - not because there are too many people but because they don't have the capital/education or ability to acquire more resources.

While there has been a spectacular reduction of deep poverty, the same inequities still face many in the developing world as they did 100 years ago.
Posted by Cheryl, Saturday, 19 December 2009 9:05:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cheryl
What you say is valid in terms of the poor. It is not just the amount of people but more often the inequitable distribution of resouces, mainly food, resulting from a flawed economic system.

But, it is not just about distribution of resouces. Food is not the only resource. Trees, metals, water, energy etc are all resources and in countries like Australia and Africa, for example, water is a more precious resource than say in Ireland where it sheets down.

Growing populations encroaching on sometimes the only real arable land in a region is a concern. You can't possibly populations can keep growing continually without some point where it becomes self-destructive for a species. Usually at that point some catastrophe takes place whether it be famine, illness or war that reduces a population but why let it get to that point?

That is what the population growthists fail to get as part of the humanitarian aspect of this debate.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 19 December 2009 9:57:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy