The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Violence against the homeless > Comments

Violence against the homeless : Comments

By David Skidmore, published 7/12/2009

For people who are homeless violence is an integral part of their lives.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Bravo David. it all needs to be said. Over and over again.
The common belief that people become homeless because they want to be means that often their plight is not taken seriously by either politicians or the general public.
I am a 72 yearold, tertiery educated woman and due to Domestic Violence I was homeless for almost a year, three years ago. It was terrifying.
Keep writing so homelessness and the Violence that causes it or follows it becomes a known quantity throughout Australia.
Posted by Hilily, Monday, 14 December 2009 4:06:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Hilly.

In my job I deal with many people who are about to be made homeless and facing eviction. Many of the issues contributing to homelessness are mental health issues, the cost of rental housing (and housing in general) and as Hilly mentioned the experience of domestic violence.

People would be surprised at how many people are sleeping in their cars until suitable housing can be found, some with children. Many motel rooms are being used by government and community groups to house people short-term.

This is why it was so remarkable that the Rudd government cut the nation-building stimulus spending on social housing while continuing to pour money into school buildings and halls often at greatly over-quoted prices.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 14 December 2009 5:21:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy