The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don’t give us your wretched ... this is Australia > Comments

Don’t give us your wretched ... this is Australia : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 2/11/2009

Asylum seekers: the lingering effects of fictitious narratives such as 'queue jumpers' and 'terrorist sleepers' remain.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
The criteria for refugee status varies amongst western nations. There is no set mantra and is why the Australian Government is so keen for UNHCR to process the claims offshore. The UN do believe people are best resettled back in their community. Even though American movies make our society look attractive the reality is very far from that for many. Europe is spending millions upon million in airfares to send back disillusioned asylum seekers.

When we signed the UN convention we had no welfare or medicare. It was for a charity to support or extended family. If we want open border we would have to lose social policy. Even my family never had anything and paid for 10 years medical debt incurred on arrival and kept captive in migrant camps. You see even worse now in Europe.

It is known fact that terrorist supporters are given residence in the west, they hardly hide it. Shame they never supported the people instead choosing violence. But the west Tamil Diaspora is well known to finance the Tamil Tiger organisation to the tune of millions. To suggest otherwise is ignorance. To suggest it is ok is against UN guideline that those who fight are simply not eligible for refugee status. Non involved civilians only. Those that break the law simply are not eligible for refugee status. I would say hijackinga an Australian vessel should disqualify them according to UN law. I wish we would follow it.
Posted by TheMissus, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 3:11:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
E Sykes

I assume you'd despise anyone whose treatment of refugees is worst than Australias alledgely inhumane Pacific Solution and equally you'd not want to share the planet with them. Pack your bags for most countries on this planet have policies worst than Australia's Pacific solution.
I'll cite two in our region. India routinely returns Tamil asylum seekers. Why? Public opinion. You see Indians en masse rejected Tamils for resettlement after the murder of The Indian PM Ghandi alledgely by a couple of Tamils who, it is claimed, thought Ghanhi and thei Indian Government shouldn't show support for the democratically elected Sri Lankian Government.
Singapore does notr take any humanitarian immgrants, asylum seekers who arrive on the horizon are intercepted, refuelled, have their water and food supplies topped up , and are assisted on their way ... obviously their destination becomes Australia.

New criticise the rest of the world , will you? ... or leave.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 8:27:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy