The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Massive fail - the anti-social world of social media > Comments

Massive fail - the anti-social world of social media : Comments

By Adam Ferrier, published 3/11/2009

Social media may well be killing our entire society one anonymous comment at a time.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
The reason why many people spend time to attack the author on sites like this and many others has lots of roots.
I often find myself more interested in the Author motives, rather then what they are saying simply because that is the more interesting part of the process. This is especially true when you get the sense that the Author is projecting their failings on the rest of us, or when they a giving a sermon from on high.

This piece is an excellent example of the former, anonymous comments have been with us for a long time. Commenting without putting your name to it can often be a coward’s way it can also be the only when that people can feel free to speak their mind. Either way we shouldn’t be afraid of comment however it is given.

The other end I=of this is to review the Author themselves, Can we look at this is a different way, Why is the author afraid of anonymous comment, does the author seek to be able to attack the person rather then the feedback and can’t do this if the comment is give anonymously? Or is it from some deep-seated fears of not fitting in from school?
In the words of Chopper TTFU, you should never be silent through fear.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 9:59:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
quote C J Morgan
"I've noticed that those who regularly post the most hateful, inane and puerile comments invariably do so from behind the coward's cloak of anonymity".

CJ Morgan, Your name is anonymous though, common name and may not even be real, so do you suggest you do to use what maybe a real name then that gives you the right to be hateful, inane puerile because I would rate you as the worst offender.

You certainly are hateful toward those that do not share your viewpoint. You have suggested many have a mental illness, including myself. How does this contribute to debate? Is it not designed to disrupt it and judge some not worthy of an opinion unless it is yours? As Benjamin Franklin suggests in his apology :=

"That it is as unreasonable in any one Man or Set of Men to expect to be pleas'd with every thing that is printed, as to think that nobody ought to be pleas'd but themselves"

I am not bothered by it, but does tend to bore one into going away. Nearly all your posts are the same, no real contribution. You seem to hunt down anything that may offend you so you can do your extreme right wing religous style moralising against the writer. Like a stalker in fact.
Posted by TheMissus, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 10:42:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
C J Morgan,

I take great exception to your comment that 'I've noticed that those who regularly post the most hateful, inane and puerile comments invariably do so from behind the coward's cloak of anonymity.' I always try to remember to put my name on posts >:(

Joe Lane
Adelaide
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 12:25:56 PM
Ah rubbish.

'Many people will be reluctant to express themselves for fear of ridicule, judgement, or derision.'

How on earth are people to be affected by the comments of people they don't know, and will never see? My god what a precious and timid society you paint. Most people don't give a stuff what a bunch of anonymous ranters say about their thoughts.

Anyway the protection of anonymity works both ways. People can now say stuff about things they previously might have been too scared to in normal society. It opens communication on many taboo topics.

What you lot really want is for everyone to bow down to your opinions. Go back to the days where publishers and editors could sensor all public debate and speakers corner was the only outlet.

What you really want is for a certain few to be able to write without being challenged. Write a book if that's the case and ignore the reviews.

'the loudest voices will belong to those with the thickest skin. The sensitive person won’t put their hand up under these conditions.'

Nothing has changed then by your own admission in the school classroom. Social media hasn't change anything.

Just a thought, did you ever think the problem may be you. Go find a course in assertiveness.

'So to the editors, and contributors of these platforms I implore you to out the anonymous and don’t accept their comments. '

Classic. So you argue freedom of speech through censorship. Good Idea!
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 2:41:24 PM
Missus,

'CJ Morgan, Your name is anonymous though, common name and may not even be real, so do you suggest you do to use what maybe a real name then that gives you the right to be hateful, inane puerile because I would rate you as the worst offender.'

Toorite. Everyone on here is really anonymous to anyone but Graham.

'You certainly are hateful toward those that do not share your viewpoint. You have suggested many have a mental illness, including myself. How does this contribute to debate? Is it not designed to disrupt it and judge some not worthy of an opinion unless it is yours?'

Another great point! I vote CJ as being the No1 accuser on OLO of mental illness!
Though in your case I'd likely side with him. You are a bit of a nutter. But that doesn't take anything away from the great points you just made.

CJ,

My real name is Babarra Sexington. I'm a recovering drug addict and stripper. I look forward to your new found respect, and I anticipate you will not be so cowardly as to not meet me face to face now that we 'know' each other.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 2:56:12 PM
LOL Babs and Joe Lane.

TheMissus - CJ Morgan is my real name. It's the name by which I'm well known in my community and under which I conduct business. Anybody with a little bit of nous can locate me if they want to. I don't post anything here that I wouldn't say to someone's face - including the frootloops. Also, I don't hate anybody, but I do deplore bastardry in all its forms.

Having said that, I don't take it too kindly if a frootloop who knows me decides to take it upon himself to intrude on my family holidays.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 3:20:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy