The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Boys demonstrate literacy in ways the current curriculum doesn't assess > Comments

Boys demonstrate literacy in ways the current curriculum doesn't assess : Comments

By Heather Blair and Kathy Sanford, published 21/2/2003

Heather Blair and Kathy Sanford argue that school curricula have been geared towards girls' litteracy so boys only seem to be underperforming

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Great article,
Sadly, I could not download the full version ... broken pipe again.
The five criteria listed:
1. personal interest;
2. action;
3. success;
4. fun; and
5. purpose.
.... are spot on IMHO. And, in my experience, it's interesting how many times in classrooms none are activated, let alone all five! Is that the effect of chronic long term poor resourcing of education in general? I'd hate to think that we teachers have just become too tired and too blind to the possibilities.
I will have a few more shots at downloading the full article.
BTW, I recently read an article in "The Australian Educational Researcher" which would nestle kindly amongst the ideas in your article. "Learning and Identity in Overlapping Communities of Practice: Surf Club, School and Sports Clubs". Although the authors of that one are not writing about boys specifically.
Posted by remoteon, Saturday, 9 September 2006 7:27:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy