The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sixteen and never been pork-barrelled > Comments

Sixteen and never been pork-barrelled : Comments

By Hugh Jorgensen, published 4/11/2009

Do 16-year-olds have 'the maturity to vote on matters that will materially affect the nation?'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Cornflower in CJ's defence.
What makes you think we have democracy? Perhaps you can explain to me how the party system works to give democratic choice to the people?
What makes you think that the majority WANT to vote?

I think there's a fine line between mob rule (lynch party mentality and mass fear) and democracy. Democracy comes with some responsibilities one of which is to make some effort to know what they're talking about and think about the issues.

To suggest that simply admitting that Australia's electorate is imperfect doesn't= someone who doesn't respect people rights or dislikes people is preposterous. It simply means they're telling as it is and isn't that what you wanted on another post?

I would point out that it is because of our indifference, recalcitrance we have such a flawed system.

The idea that popular locally automatically means best for the country is farcical. Pauline Hanson had appeal but displayed little or no understanding beyond her own unsupportable prejudices.

Ask the average Qlder what differentiates their parliament form all others and you'll get some amazing answers. Their state was run by a premier who didn't know what the separation of powers were? And look at the mess that left. Yet some OLOers want him back.

We're talking about something serious here not who going to win the cricket or the AFL next year. In every other endeavour we demand the people know what their on about why not how the country is to be run?

If its good enough for new citizens to be demanded to know something about our country why not the rest? Knowledge comes with effort not genetically or through osmosis.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 6 November 2009 12:33:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I would point out that it is because of our indifference, recalcitrance we have such a flawed system.
The idea that popular locally automatically means best for the country is farcical. Pauline Hanson had appeal but displayed little or no understanding beyond her own unsupportable prejudices."
Examinator why not simply say: "I have my view of how the people of Australia should be governed and by whom. Other views simply don't count". Our current system is flawed, after all people supported Pauline Hanson and Heaven forbid Joh Bjelke-Petersen. Further evidence of this flawed system must be Bob Brown sitting in the Senate.
By the way I am surprised CJ proposes an electoral system that would disenfranchise most of the Indigenous population of Australia.
Posted by blairbar, Friday, 6 November 2009 5:24:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
blaibar,
your first two sentences in your last post could not be more spot-on.
I feel however, the rest of the comment has shades of a 56 year old having been 16 for forty years.
Posted by individual, Friday, 6 November 2009 6:15:22 AM
It's quite interesting to me that the idea that people should know what they're doing when they vote can be described as "repugnant". My proposal is not for voters to have attained a particular level of education, rather they should be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of our democratic process, perhaps along the lines of the questionnaire that maracas1 suggested early in the thread.

I know many people who didn't reach Year 12 at high school, but who are perfectly capable of answering those questions. On the other hand, I know more than a few people with university degrees who couldn't.

We don't let people drive without knowing the road rules, so why do we require people to vote in elections without knowing the basics of Australian democracy?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 6 November 2009 8:33:26 AM
Dear Pelican

I stand guilty of using the word "hysteria", not aimed at all who disagreed with me and certainly not aimed at you personally. I guess I should've clarified my post a bit more. There are those who simply jump in and condemn a group of people, in this case; 16 year olds as if they were a single homogenous group, for example blanket statements like this from The Missus:

<< They are not more mature and have less real life experience than before. They tend to be karaoke children if anything and still in nappies at 20. They cling to Mum and Dad till the very last minute. They drive like idiots and have no creativity or ability for rational thinking. Make the voting age 28. >>

Not helpful or even reasonable.

As I have stated previously, some people never mature sufficiently to ever vote intelligently, whereas there are 16 years olds who most definitely are capable. What is required is introduction, as you stated, to understanding the political system such as it is in Australia. Voting should not be mandatory for 16 years olds, however having the option to vote, having studied politics, would provide increased gravitas (and maybe inspire interest) for the young person, than keeping the subject to theory only.

I see learning to drive or attempting to govern one's hormones at age 16 as far more challenging, difficult and risky than being able to cast a vote if one so chooses.
Posted by Fractelle, Friday, 6 November 2009 8:40:48 AM
The kiddies love voting. Just make it like Australian Idol!

This episode reminds me of when the mean and tricky rodent gave people until 8pm on the day the writs were issued to enrol to vote, shortening it from a week. It was a sad attempt to exclude the automatically un-enrolled long term overseas lefties, as well as young people.

The Rudd-ster definitely is rodent-light. Pity the media wont pick up on the obvious motives as they did with the rodent.

'Why do we need Trade Unions? '
Bit of a leading question that one...

Actually with the influence of all the Green Left Weekly waving teachers this could be very prosperous for The Rudd-ster.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 6 November 2009 10:50:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy