The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Missile defence and the defence of freedom > Comments

Missile defence and the defence of freedom : Comments

By Jim DeMint, published 30/9/2009

President Barack Obama continues to insist on bargaining away US and European security.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Many thanks OLO for reprinting this highly amusing piece! I had a chuckle at "enemies of freedom", a good guffaw at "American exceptionalism - the clearest, truest, and most reliable fact in international affairs" but I nearly wet myself when I got to "Missile defence is not a projection of American power, but of American ideals". The disconnection with reality demonstrated by the author of the text illustrates well why the USA's days as a superpower are numbered. Seeems we are headed for a new world order where the New World no longer gives the orders.
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 9:51:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for this. have to agree it was a great laugh.

Loved this bit:
"I dislike theories and ideologies; I prefer things that are real, things that are true, things that work. I like clarity."

He then proceeds to follow this with a statement dripping with ideology:
"the friend of freedom is the friend of the United States."
And he does it with a straight face.
We need more political satire of this quality.
Posted by shal, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 10:16:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep. I love the smell of bull-manure in the morning as much as this guy clearly loves the smell of napalm at the same hour of the day. Duke Nukem is alive and well.
Posted by anthonykn, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 3:16:52 PM
The dogs of war are still barking in the Hew Hess of Hay.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 4:33:50 PM
I totally disagreed with the author and then was pleased to see that so far the comments are 100% negative toward his views. The author, Republican Senator Jim DeMint is chairman of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Subcommittee on European Affairs. Illogical and weak intellectually, he is typical of many Republicans who oppose essentially everything proposed by the current government. Even though the Democrats are in the majority, Obama's proposals will have a tough time getting approval in Washington.
Posted by Joe in the U.S., Wednesday, 30 September 2009 5:06:57 PM
I love the way you guys just laugh at this, it is a relief.
Posted by Milgu, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 11:16:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy