The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Did Facebook kill the blogging star? > Comments

Did Facebook kill the blogging star? : Comments

By Mark Bahnisch, published 28/8/2009

The assumption we often make that where technology is concerned function will follow form is at best too simple.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
"Did Facebook kill the blogging star?"

No, Twitter did. Twitter will surpass FB eventually. Just wait till money gets involved. The vast majority of people go on FB to waste time. Twitter is VASTLY superior when it comes to direct marketing and advertising either from the corporate giants through to your average punter who has a website to advertise or a product to sell.

Right now Twitter is working through ways to get corporations to pay for the privilege of directly targeting your wants and/or needs. Right now you can search key words and find out who says them and what they're saying about them. That means anything. Think up key words that would relate to your website and target people using those words and link them to here. You can't do that on FB. Use the right words on Twitter and you can get a thousand+ instant hits.
Posted by StG, Friday, 28 August 2009 10:39:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Twitter is VASTLY superior when it comes to direct marketing and advertising either from the corporate giants through to your average punter who has a website to advertise or a product to sell."

You're confusing market research with advertising. On Twitter you can only advertise to people who choose to follow you, it's only permission marketing - closer in type to Tupperware parties than billboards to continue with Mark's theme.

Yes, it's easier to search for what people are saying about your product, but I don't think that says anything at all about the effect that will have on the people who are tweeting (except maybe in terms of how they use that ability to speak to marketers).
Posted by Anna Winter, Friday, 28 August 2009 12:24:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is shortsighted to dismiss Twitter - it has remarkable uses. In marketing terms , the targeted and immediate nature of the tweets around particular issues and the ability to set up your site to target your "prey" have huge potential- which is already being expoloited by early adopters.

Today I am participating (virtually) in the #publicsphere conference in Wollongong using a live stream, a blog and input from Twitter - the only think I am missing out on is the table discussions.
Posted by Paulette, Friday, 28 August 2009 3:49:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with the analysis but from a more general position. The so-called digital media space is not a single media technology, unlike say the telephone or radio. TV and cinema are platforms that marry multiple mediums yet have definite limitations in terms of distribution and access. The twin developments of digitisation of data and ubiquitous global distribution represent an expansion of several orders of magnitude in the world's media capacity which is also almost completely unfettered by regulations or laws.

Facebook and twitter have be seen as mere infants not just on the basis of chronology but also in terms of utilisation of the potential inherit in the new media. From that perspective, claims that Twitter or something else will take over our lives seem extravagant despite how appealing it is right now. All of this I suppose, reinforces the idea that basic digital literacy must be pursued universally and the analogy that we are mere scratching the surface of a big new space.

just my 2c :)
Posted by david_h, Friday, 28 August 2009 6:10:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"On Twitter you can only advertise to people who choose to follow you"

I get messages from people I'm not following all the time. Not hard to use suggestive advertising as opposed to direct.

eg ~

Me: "I need a new LCD TV"

Reply: "Hey, I got a great deal on a tele at *where ever*. Check it out [url]"

Chances are I'm going to have a look. The only way to block that sort of thing is to make your tweets private.
Posted by StG, Friday, 28 August 2009 7:54:49 PM
Facebook did not kill blogging, blogging did that all by itself. Too many bloggers, too much trivia, too many irrelevant opinions on rubbish. Twitter and Facebook are doomed, teenagers have aleady moved on to places like Bebo. Even elders have moved to Finerday. People will always have their favourite sites and continue to use them until something 'better!?" comes along.
Posted by Desk Hermit, Saturday, 29 August 2009 12:35:29 PM
As a blogger for nearly five years I have seen lots of people come and go from blog writing and many who give up on the medium do so because they don't have enough of a work ethic to make their postings regular enough for the development of any kind of audience. Without regular readers and commenters its hard to keep writing a blog. So many bloggers give up before they get over this stumbling block.
The other reason that so many blogs are started but fail to continue is the simple fact that blog writing, like all writing, is a craft and it must be learned but there are no courses on blog writing so most practitioners are stumbling along in the dark seeking a niche and an appropriate 'voice" Many fail to find either and they give up.
The final characteristic of a "successful" blogger is a "work ethic" that enables them to post on a regular basis, daily is best in terms of keeping/ building a readership but a couple of times a week can "work" but anything much less than once a week is really a waste of time for readers.
I really don't think that Facebook or twitter can compete with blogging in the way that it can canvas the issues de jour or provide a forum fro discussion or debate. I use Facebook but I have no expectation that it has much more than a phatic function.
Twitter is obviously very attractive to those individuals who are welded to their mobile devices but my survey of various twitter streams shows that most of the communication is utter garbage unless you want to know when someone is on the dunny or off to have a wank and it has no value if your interests are not scatological
Posted by Iain, Sunday, 30 August 2009 9:58:58 AM
Did CS Lewis beat Vannevar Bush? In "That Hideous Strength" (1943), he describes an electrical notice board or "Pragmatometer" in a new scientific institute:

"There are to be forty interlocking committees sitting every day and they've got a wonderful gadget - I was shown the model last time I was in town -by which the findings of each committee print themselves off in their own little compartment on the Analytical Notice Board every half hour. Then, that report slides itself into the right position where it's connected up by little arrows with all the relevant part of the other reports. A glance at the board shows you the policy of the whole Institute actually taking shape under your own eyes." (p.382, 1989 Pan ed.)
Posted by Tomess, Monday, 31 August 2009 12:41:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy