The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cultural blindness > Comments

Cultural blindness : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 21/8/2009

True multiculturalism, with its fundamental tenet of common humanity, does not yet permeate all Australian society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Dallas writes

'Let's face it Kellie Tranter, Not many city dwellers want the original inhabitants ( aboriginals ) living next door'

Having lived close to aboriginal housing for years the reasons for not wanting them nearby has nothing to do with house prices. Try constant screaming, drunkedness, racism (much more than I've ever seen from Europeans) and violence at night and see how quickly your attitudes of this once 'peaceful' people group lived change. Try ringing police who refuse to come because family violence and disputes are a very common event and they get tired of trying to sort it out. Try living where parents are drunk and the kids run amuck from 5 years old upwards. They don't hesitate to throw rocks at cars and buses. My experiences are common for thousands of residents just wanting to live in peace and harmony. The cultural blindness comes mainly from academics who have their own version of history when it comes to white settlement. Because many of these academics themselves embellish the pagan lifestyle they are oblivious to the violence, the child abuse, the poor treatment of women that goes hand in hand with this culture. As the as change isn't expected as it is in the rest of the civilised world nothing will change. The academics will continue to blame the whites while every other people group (other than Muslims) will continue to integrate into society. I can't help to smile every time I come across someone from overseas who has come to help out the aboriginals and save them from the wicked whites. How quickly their attitude changes when faced with reality. Reality is certainly something the loathers of white European culture aren't willing to face up to. Facing reality would certainly stop the gravy train of funds from succcessive Governments in denial of truth.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 22 August 2009 7:48:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner, Australian aboriginals or part there of, are not the only drunks or rock throwers, be they landing on your roof or car on the freeway. I wouldn't expect Noel Pearson to be caught throwing rocks unless it was to skip stones across the water.
Posted by Dallas, Saturday, 22 August 2009 8:40:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dallas,
You are making a stupid trivial point. We are all aware that there are criminals from every ethnic group. However, the point being made is that some ethnic groups are FAR MORE LIKELY to be involved in criminal activity or antisocial behaviour.
Hypothetically if there was a society made up of two ethnic groups, 100 people from each group ( 200 people in total) and 99 people from the first group and 1 from the second regularly committed crimes, your trivial point would be correct. People like you would be screaming that not all crimes are made up of people from the first group. This stupid trivial argument is used so often by the politically correct and the media that I just get sick of it. How much longer do I need to put up with this propoganda.
Posted by ozzie, Saturday, 22 August 2009 10:45:25 PM
Ozzie are you talking about specific crimes or just incarceration rates?
Is it only antisocial behaviour you are basing this extraordinary ratio on - or are you including things like embezzlement, corporate and tax fraud, serial killers, organised crime violence, drug manufacture importation and distribution, medical negligence and identity theft - or are you suggesting that criminal behaviour is not a matter of circumstance or environment, but an inherited ethnic trait?
Posted by rache, Saturday, 22 August 2009 11:39:53 PM
Loudmouth/Joe,

Of course you are correct.

What I was clumsily trying to say was that aboriginals shouldn't be expected to completely abandon their heritage to appease those who oppose the principle of multiculturalism.

It was said in response to those in these forums that paint them all as social misfits and a criminal class.

Apologies if it came out wrong.
Posted by wobbles, Saturday, 22 August 2009 11:57:42 PM
Sorry, Wobbles, I think I see where you are coming from. I don't think it's a matter of abandoning one's heritage, but of trying to make the best of one's circumstances over generations of hardship.

In the south/east, where people have lost their land long, long ago, except for bits and pieces, and where people have been embedded in a western/modern economy for many generations and who have access to towns and cities, people have the choice of either pursuing opportunity or 'security' on welfare. One pathway is open, the other is a blind alley, inevitably involving far greater rates of idleness, a sense of futility, turning to grog, drugs, crime, abuse - just as any people have done and would do in similar circumstances.

The pathway to opportunity is full of risks and demands effort. But in the long run, it is, and will always be, the only pathway to a decent life, and a decent future for one's kids. That's what many Indigenous people have chosen to do, in the face of racism from Left and Right, and against all the temptations of a deceptively comfortable lifelong welfare system. And they will prevail.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 23 August 2009 1:31:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy