The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > See O'Too and Cosmic Ray in the Climate Stakes Cup > Comments

See O'Too and Cosmic Ray in the Climate Stakes Cup : Comments

By John Ridd, published 19/8/2009

With such a feeble track record it is astonishing that See O’Too remains the firm favourite in the Climate Stakes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Oops, I missed that particular piece of withering scorn you poured on the alarmists, there. I guess I was too busy waiting for you to rebuff Eclipse Now's support for Robin Williams' alarmist exaggerations.

On the other hand: sadly, I don't think you can respond to slasher any simpler without resorting to crayons.
Posted by Clownfish, Wednesday, 2 September 2009 2:57:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh no... I accidentally clicked on the email and I'm back! (But at least not responding to slasher's "pressure". ;-)

Clownfish, how alarmist is it to suggest that today's observed retreat rates of glaciers might have 2 billion people without water or agriculture in the next few decades? Would you call that a serious scenario? Forget sea-level rise, it's the glaciers across Asia we should be worrying about!

Can the scientists in this field make the risks any clearer?

If the scenarios ARE that serious, can we please stop bagging the IPCC and other climatologists for being paid to study this stuff?
It's a piddling little fraction of the world economy that might just help us understand the risks and save the world economy.

Or do you have some over-inflated sense of how fast science *should* progress, so that they should just "know it all by now?" If so, grow up. Run along now with your silly little funding problems, the grown ups have some policy to draw up.
Posted by Eclipse Now, Thursday, 3 September 2009 3:48:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nemo :)

This link to a paper by Katherine Wells is very sobering and puts EN's 350 ppm CO2 (not CO2e) in perspective.

http://bravenewclimate.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/recent_climate_change_science_kw.pdf

Barry Brook sums it up at his web site.
Posted by Q&A, Thursday, 3 September 2009 4:50:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's a lot I like about Barry's work busting deniers.

There's some bits about Barry's blogging style I find frustrating, as my comments on his blog will show. As far as I can tell, nuclear is not the only option we have... the renewables guys are telling us there is a variety of ways we can deal with the intermittent nature of renewables. But if Barry is right about nuclear becoming ever cheaper and safe, maybe we'll have yet another *option* to choose from?

Still, it's electricity, not liquid fuels, so the transport crunch looks like it is on it's way. Get ready to car-pool and buy a "Better Place" EV asap, so we can priortise the oil to the "do-or-die" industries like agriculture.
Posted by Eclipse Now, Thursday, 3 September 2009 4:57:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Eclipse Now, before run off to your cave with your supply of tinned food and your stuffed polar bear, it's been pointed out before that "OH NOES! Teh glaciers are melting!!" is a bit of a furphy.

Q&A, I'm curious about your claim that " humanity is conducting an *experiment* that has not been done before. The *experiment* can’t be repeated and we don’t have a control against which to test it."

I'm assuming you're referring to the release of large amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere?

Hasn't this "experiment" been done before in the laboratory of the past? In which it appears that the relationship between atmospheric CO2 and global warming is a little problematic.

Also, if the record of the past is anything to go by, warmer climates generally seem to have been pretty good times, generally. What is it that makes this time so different? Surely it couldn't be either the pace or degree of warming: more rapid swings of climate have been recorded in the past, and greater warming; life has gone on.
Posted by Clownfish, Monday, 7 September 2009 12:07:37 PM
Clownfish, the glaciers ARE melting. The 'problematic' relationship between CO2 and temperature in the past has been dealt with a number of times in all these climate threads. I assume you're talking about the "Co2 follows temperature change myth"?

If so, you're choosing to just go along with the denialists and promote a myth. The whole thing is based on a strawman and is quite an immature, unsophisticated, and ill-informed argument strategy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWJeqgG3Tl8&feature=related

Or this.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11659-climate-myths-ice-cores-show-co2-increases-lag-behind-temperature-rises-disproving-the-link-to-global-warming.html

Oh, and as for the second myth you're proposing... that warming will be good for us, please GROW UP!

See myth 26: "It's too cold where I am, warming will be great!"
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11657-climate-myths-its-too-cold-where-i-live--warming-will-be-great.html

Those glaciers are retreating, and it is incredibly serious. Please cite some peer reviewed papers proving otherwise unless you wish to be seen as yet another boring internet troll.
Posted by Eclipse Now, Monday, 7 September 2009 3:34:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy