The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Behind China’s steel pricing farce > Comments

Behind China’s steel pricing farce : Comments

By Arthur Thomas, published 14/8/2009

Behind the smoke and mirrors in China: Beijing still thinks as a command economy imposing its will on the global marketplace.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Ni hao wode pengyou,

thank you for pulling all the strands together. I have been trying to make sense of this matter, and although I have been tantalisingly close to seeing the big picture, I have not been able to put all the pieces together.

Until your article. This analysis makes sense. There too few Australian analysts/commentators who really understand the CCP and its influence on China and its attempted influence on the world at large.

For the life of me, i cannot understand how the CCP can be so insularly stupid sometimes. I guess the only explanation is yours (and mine): i.e., the CCP is always playing to the local gallery, because their grip on power is tenuous.

Our western governments should understand this fact, and as a consequence, never, ever give in to the bullying. We should never weaken in this resolve.

Right now, i am pessimistic that the CCP will ever learn how to behave as a responsible international player.

Thanks once again for all your analyses. I read them and learn from them.

Brian in chongqing.
Posted by Brian Hennessy, Friday, 14 August 2009 1:11:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very informative article,so,there's a totalitarian mentality behind the capitalist market facade,many commentators appear to be naive in regard to China(as with Russia). The CCP shouldn't take all the blame for the bullying attitude,it has a long history,when the Middle Kingdom is powerful, the outer barbarians must submit to its will.
Posted by mac, Saturday, 15 August 2009 8:49:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I enjoy reading the well written perceptive articles on China by Arthur Thomas (as well as the first hand accounts by Brian Hennessy).
I have been a reasonably frequent visitor to China in recent years and for the most part enjoy my contacts with Chinese people. I travel for personal not business or commercial reasons. I also have a keen interest in geo-political issues from years of travel and observation of societies. I feel Arthur's analysis is spot on and also underscores the need for caution when evaluating statements emanating from China's Government.

There is no doubt that the prime concern of the Chinese Government, in all all its policies, political stances and utterances is to protect the power and dominance of the Chinese 'Communist' Party first and foremost. Although , the 'ideology' is dead, the power structure and determination to maintain that, is still the same. The CCP is now more akin to a power dynasty, and politically has some of the overtones of a corporate fascist state, as there is a strong symbiosis between the political and corporate sectors as Arthur Thomas notes. But there are still massive The 'ideological button' that the CCP pushes when it is angry or frustrated, or feels threatened is increasingly the 'nationalism' button. My observation, admittedly from limited incidents, but at grass roots levels illustrate this. There is, quite understandably, a pride in many Chinese citizens especially those who live in the cities or regions that have shown marked economic development, to point to that growth, the Olympic Games, Space exploration and technological progress, the fact that China is now a world power, that the long memories about past humiliation at the hands of the colonial powers, including the war against Japan are been addressed. China will not be pushed around again.
Part 1
Posted by bagsyl, Monday, 17 August 2009 1:52:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Part 2
This intense nationalism can be seen at karaoke bars when patriotic songs, about the PLA and surprisingly perhaps, about Mao and the revolution, are sung with gusto and fervent patriotism. The resentment and resistance of Uighurs, Tibetans, to China's 'modernisation' of their 'autonomous regions' is seen as being disgraceful and graceless ingratitude to the benefits of modern Chinese civilisation.

The current Global Financial Crisis and the apparent weathering of that by China, and the almost kow towing attitude of many of the other world powers whose economies are struggling, have added grist to the nationalism mill. China's more belligerent approach on resource commodities, even the trial of Stern Hu and his associates, the attempts to intimidate other countries, and even small film festivals, as Melbourne has witnessed, are also are further manifestations of this burgeoning nationalism, which the CCP both encourages and rides maybe to its own peril. It is also important for governments and businesses to realise that doing major business or selling off commodity sources, that commercial interest is second to the CCP power and status. Allowing that the CCP of today is the current dynasty, there is as with all past dynasties to protect 'China's' an intense sense of self.
Posted by bagsyl, Monday, 17 August 2009 1:56:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy