The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Jonathan Swift’s foresight > Comments

Jonathan Swift’s foresight : Comments

By William York, published 28/7/2009

Jonathon Swift in 'Gulliver’s Travels' made a long range forecast of incredible accuracy: the envy of any climate modeler!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
The analogy seems very ordinary. I'm not sure I get this right - you're implying in a very cute, I'm so wonderfully read, way that technological advances in medicine, agriculture, aviation etc etc are evil and a blight on society - or is it just atmospheric studies?
Posted by DaveMcRae, Wednesday, 29 July 2009 8:42:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just so true. I must read Gulliver again, it's so long I don't remember much.

Dave, I'm afraid that all the advances you mention came into being a long time before this bunch of dills, we have somehow imposed upon ourselves, got into Canberra.

I find it interesting that his Krudd-ship is all ready laying the ground work to spend twice as much on health as the states, & the C/wealth combined now do, when he takes over.

Much as I have little faith in the Queensland public service ever doing anything right, I do believe thay would be able to much improve their present efforts in health, with an equal injection of cash. They would probably do better than the Krudd boys are likely to.

The best thing anyone could do for Oz would be to erect a large wall around Canberra, & allow nothing to pass between us & them.

I wonder how long it would take them to notice?
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 29 July 2009 12:16:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy