The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Queensland Education Minister backs Cardinal Pell: 'Secular Experiment Failed' > Comments

Queensland Education Minister backs Cardinal Pell: 'Secular Experiment Failed' : Comments

By Hugh Wilson, published 9/7/2009

Why would Queenslanders need to move beyond the thinking of the 1870s, when our mines are open, our farms produce food, and we have tourism and foreign students?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The scariest thing about runner, in the context of this thread, is that he claims to have home-schooled his kids.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 10 July 2009 7:38:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can’t quite leave this dead thread without commenting on that “paradise for some”. For whom? is the obvious question. But even for those lucky (dim-witted) souls who find themselves in paradise, it’s surely a fool’s gold? Life, withal the trappings, without philosophy is a mean existence (just ask Solomon or Socrates). Secularism is merely a viable system of moral law, an anthropocentrism that took off, but it has no extension or subtlety. Is the human odyssey at an end then? Is Homer Simpson really the best we can do?
Posted by Squeers, Saturday, 11 July 2009 6:45:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rusty you write

My fundie 'kids' have excelled at secular university, sports and jobs maybe to your disappointment. They could see straight through the dogmas taught by 'fundie athiests'. The fruit of ahtiests lives is even more visible then their deceitful little doctrines. If you want some teaching on biology I suggest you speak to the thousands of doctors that know the fraud of the evolutionary teachers.

The teaching of evolution has done nothing to advance medicine. You are either deceitful or either fooled. Why do I need to get an education on biology when many with Phd's have already exposed your false beliefs.

Your ignorance/arrogance in denigrating God's Word must be quite amusing to your Maker. No wonder you have to believe in so many myths in order to justify your perverted world view.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 11 July 2009 7:12:56 PM
I had a religious upbringing, and unfortunately was also raised in Queensland. From my own experience and that of others, I find devoutly religious parents to be authoritarian, irrational and intolerant. They brook no dissent, and do not use authoritative child-rearing, rather they use authoritarian child rearing. Corporal punishment is often also a feature. If you in any way don't turn out as they want, question their views etc, you lose much of their love, so much so that they will not speak to you, see you or have you visit inside their home. Such parents also, even with young adult children, demand unquestioning obedience and submission, and are ruthless in dealing with dissenters or non-conformists. Despite the claims by xtians about the love and mercy of their imaginary man in the sky, they are anything but loving and merciful. Religion is often used to denigate many people and many advances that have been beneficial to society, such as science, reproductive services, evidence-based sex education, etc.

By the way, census data shows you lot are in an expanding minority. Regular church attendances are extremely low, as a proportion of the population. However, due to irrational edicts on contraception, religious folk are prodigious breeders.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Saturday, 11 July 2009 9:51:45 PM
Runner,

Your kids excel in the mainstream? I wish them well. I approve your conviction in home schooling, you aren't paying Pastor's minions. You are aware that getting to uni and excelling is no great trick. The majority of those there came from the public system which routinely does as well as home schooling or private schools in meeting entrance requirements. Studying science are they? Or an applied discipline whose principal skill is memory? Or law or mathematics, which are self-referential. Your kids saw straight through nothing but the narrow blinkers you gave. I hope they're happy.

I don't get taught by doctors, I teach them. Doctors are service-delivery technicians that depend on the research of a few stars among them and upon scientists to advance new techniques and understandings of disease. Evolving diseases in a world of related life. Mediocre doctors such as you mention probably have no need to know where their knowledge came from, and little professional interest. Probably the ones that prescribe inappropriate antibiotics. Please refer such so I can avoid their services.

I say again, get an education, I'm not fooled, but your pastor has you. The very few phD's in biology who are willing to go public vs evolutionary theory are typically not involved in any sort of biological research, but do display the sort of dysfunctional indoctrination you claim of yours. The ones with degrees in civil engineering have much to go on.

Myths? As opposed to the imaginary friend? Which one? Someone else claims theirs is bigger, another older. Much information you have to go on, none actually existing. Amusement is felt by we who exist.

Athiest lives are often just fine, they are certainly not the universal shambles you desire to satisfy your insufficiently private fantasy.

If you and yours are doing well, good for you. Me and mine are also doing well in the complete absence of what you call necessity, suggesting that your beliefs are optional. You, like the Saudis, can buy the services of professionals informed by theories you deny.

Rustopher
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Saturday, 11 July 2009 10:48:51 PM
Squeers,

Not tasting your problem here.

Philosophy and ethics do not depend on the existence of a deity.
A philosophy that hinges on the untrue would hardly be genuinely satisfying, no matter how intricate and time consuming, or comforting to some.

We do indeed live in a physical paradise, never hungry except by choice, virtually free of disease, vermin, the misery of cold, the tyranny of distance. We may ply our trades with dignity, without need for sharp practice and with room for compassion, and consider those topics you mention.

The problem is that many of our species *are* hungry, and while I believe science and engineering and will could make them all much more comfortable I suspect certain economic and political forces are the real barrier. Hungry people make poor deals, the distressed make overcommitments to poor gods.

Independent peoples don't *need* a level playing field, or to satisfy the profit expectations of a few. The unindoctrinated don't *need* to pay parasitic pastor to proselytise.

The experiment of taming the church, begun with the Magna Carta, is a success. Now lets bring the results to the world.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Saturday, 11 July 2009 11:15:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy